Please help! Being harrased by township in michigan

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by mommymegg, Sep 28, 2011.

1. mommymegg

mommymegg New Egg

Sep 28, 2011
    Anyone have any info on The right to farming act in Michigan? Township officials say it doesn't apply because we are not zoned in agricultural property. Any suggestions? We want to keep our chickens! Residing in Richfield Twp. Mi in a residential area, on a side note our coop is not visible by any neighbors privacy fenced in back yard, i just don't see the big deal!

2. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

doesnt matter what they say. They just say that garbage because "origanally" they werent allowed to have chickens. MICHIGAN right to farm act stands for all of Michigan. $2 a dozen or $20 bucks a dozen as long as you are trying to make a profit. You are allowed [​IMG]

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    To date, there is no case law that I know of where the MRTFA has protected someone operating outside of their zoning restrictions. Feel free to check out my thread and see if there is any information that might get the township off your back.

4. mommymegg

mommymegg New Egg

Sep 28, 2011
    ok so i have read alot of material so far, my question.. i am zoned residential will i still be protected under "michigans right to farm act" from what i have read i will be but just want to make sure. Twp. Is saying no now because im not on zoned under agricultural property- whatever that means.

5. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    The text of the bill reads as though it protects operations on legal farms from spurious complaints, but does not eliminate zoning restrictions. In other words, if you are on ag land, you cannot be prohibited from using standardized agricultural practices that are defined by the state of Michigan as "standard agricultural practices" despite noises, dust, odors, etc., that neighbors may consider a "nuisance." But if you're not zoned ag, you're not legally a "farm." At least, that's my interpretation of the bill. http://legislature.mi.gov/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-Act-93-of-1981.pdf

6. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Quote:So far, that has been the judges' interpretation as well. Whether we read it to mean that it protects all of us, the courts have yet to rule in favor of overriding zoning. That doesn't mean it won't ever happen, just that it hasn't yet.

7. mommymegg

mommymegg New Egg

Sep 28, 2011
    hmm.. well I guess they have won then & i would have no choice but to get rid of our chickens [​IMG] wish there was a way around it! grr....

8. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Don't give up so easily. People are fighting in other cities around Michigan. Stand your ground.

9. MalissaB

MalissaB New Egg

Aug 20, 2011
    Try to work with the township/city to change local ordinances. I am in the same situation here in Fenton and on Monday we go in front of city council to present for a change in ordinance.

10. JanetR

JanetR Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Long Island NY
    Who turned you in? If there are no complaints - noise, smell etc. what's the big deal? I can't stand it that someone will try and dictate what we have as pets. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by