Please help...big gob of blood on poop board

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Terrie Mac, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Terrie Mac

Terrie Mac Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    This morning I found a bunch of blood on the hens poop board, not bloody poop, just a big gob of blood- also looked like tissue. It's from my buff rock, she's very big and has only laid 1 little egg, a few days ago. All the others are laying, they are all 5 1/2 months old. Yesterday she was eating and drinking though I noticed her laying down a lot. She went into the nest box for a while but didn't lay an egg.

Other Symptoms:

can't walk straight, falls to the side or forward
    quiet
    not eating or drinking
    her abdomen feel a bit bloated and squishy

I have her now in the house.

What should I do?

2. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    She may be egg bound - which is what we are dealing with now, although the egg is out, the vent is now prolapsed. Can you feel whether or not there is an egg in her vent stuck? Be careful not to break it. If there is an egg up there, lot's of good advice on here - such as soaking her in warm water. It was very challenging for us to do this because someone has to hold the chicken down. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

3. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    I know chickens shed some intestin lining, its pink and wormey looking like blobs, ha ha sorry i cant discribe it lol. In the search box type poop chart , theres a page with pictures of all different poos and they tell you whats normal and what isnt. Sorry i cant help any more. Hopefully someone puts a thread to it for you..

4. Terrie Mac

May 17, 2011
    update: I felt around her bloated squishy abdomen and couldn't feel an egg. She will eat yogurt, wheat grass and did drink a little water. But she falls over if she tries to walk or even stand up and move a little. She might be off balance because of the extra weight? She is also starting to pant a little so I know she is stressing.

Thank you to those who responded. I hope others will chime in and help me save her if possible.

A couple of questions:

Is there another way to tell if she is egg bound?

I don't want her to suffer, how do I know if she is in pain?

I appreciate the help!

5. Terrie Mac

May 17, 2011
    Still hoping someone can help with my 5 1/2 old buff rock. She laid her very first tiny egg just 4 days ago, none since though she has visited the nest often. This morning, I found a lot of blood/tissue on the poop board. She can't walk without falling over, but she is eating and drinking (I have to feed her). She is separated and in my home now. I gave her a warm bath then placed a heating pad on low under her.

Why was there blood? Should I get her on antibiotics? If so what kind and how much?

Thank you for you help!

6. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    i would put a glove on and put some ky on it or triple antibiotic ointment and put your finger in there and gently feel for egg. It will feel like hard mass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by