Please help! Black splotches on combs with pic.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicks8405, Mar 29, 2012.

1. chicks8405

chicks8405 New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    [​IMG]
    Hi, I would be very appreciative of some advice. I have a small flock of black and blue orpington, 2 rooster and 3 hens. The boys have developed black splotches on their combs and waddles, hens are fine. I have tried researching and found lots of info on pox, however the splotches aren't really raised at all (seem part of the comb if that makes sense) and don't seem like scabs. The roos are very docile and I have never seen them peck each other. I do not imagine it could be frostbite, the lowest temp. they have been in would be between 0 and -5 c. Their behavior seems normal to me, hasn't changed in the month I have had them, so they don't seem ill. I am new to having chickens, but think I would recognize signs of stress. Here is a picture, any help from someone with a similar experience or knowledge would be great!
    My other worries with this - the hens eggs obviously we have been loving, if this is some sort of disease should we not eat them? Also I have just moved 31 chicks in the coop beside the big guys. In the same building, separated by a wall, they do not share any of the same space - but I don't want the babies to get ill.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's probably from the boys fighting.
    When they breed a hen the other roosters will grab their combs and try to pull them off.
    -5 is low enough for frostbite also, especially if it's humid.

3. chicks8405

chicks8405 New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Thanks for that. I am around them quite a bit throughout the day and have never witnessed the roosters pulling at each other - but that isn't to say it doesn't happen. (Sounds painful!) Fingers crossed that is it however and not anything ailing them.
    The coldest weather they have been in since I've had them is about 2 weeks ago, I had a heat lamp in there for the coldest couple. Thank you, good to know for next winter that even just below 0 could give them frostbite.

4. billyb

billyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Cleveland, OH
    I would separate them and see if it gets better or worse. Or I would get rid of one so you just have one, many people I know just like to have only one rooster at a time, due to fighting...

5. Mon27

Mon27 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    What ever came of this condition? I have a similar problem although it is not as patchy, more smooth. Most posts on various forums also mention mild sneezing, which mine have. Please update me as no other post ever has a result! Thanks!

6. hamsterchick

hamsterchick New Egg

Sep 9, 2013
    Did either of you figure out what was happening to your chickens? One of my ladies seems to have it pretty bad and I think it's starting on one other one. I am hoping you can tell me that it just passed...

7. Mon27

Mon27 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    I am so embarrassed to say this.. but I believe it was dirt. :) I had my bf in a panic. We even tried to rub it off and it wouldnt but a few days later it was better. It has been raining and is back lol. Try a rag and soapy water and see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by