PLEASE HELP!! Blood in stool....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FreedomFarm13, Jan 2, 2017.

1. FreedomFarm13

FreedomFarm13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    Ok, I'm freaking out a little. For the second day in a row, I have seen bloody, mucusy poop in my coop. I can't figure out who it is because nobody has any "leftover" on them, but I'm seriously worried now. I have pullets that are over 9 months old, and several babies between the ages of 16 weeks and 22 weeks. Does one of my girls have an egg stuck or something that broke? I don't know what to do! I took a pic of the one today:
    [​IMG]
    Please help me! I don't want to lose anyone!!!

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Bloody Poop usually means Cocci.Its probably your babies there more susceptible to it.You need Corid to treat Cocci.Corid can be found at feed stores such as tractor supply.Treat all members of the flock.

3. FreedomFarm13

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    Ok. Thank you so much!! I was kinda dreading that, but I was hoping I was wrong. I'll go and get some immediately. Thank you again!

4. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Sit out in the coop and bring some food,call them over and see which ones are coming over and which are not.The ones that dont come over are most likely infected with cocci those ones will need extra care.Keep them hydrated with the Corid.Im assuming your older chickens and younger ones are separated,they will have different dosages for Corid.

5. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Dosage.

*The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid 20% Soluble Powder is 1/3 teaspoon/gallon.
    *The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Liquid (9.6% Solution) is 1/2 teaspoon/gallon.

*The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid 20% Soluble Powder is 3/4 teaspoon/gallon.
    *The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Liquid (9.6% Solution) is 1 teaspoon/gallon.

*The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid 20% Soluble Powder is 1.5 teaspoons/gallon.
    *The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Liquid (9.6% Solution) is 2 teaspoon/gallon.

for 5-7 days

6. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    How are they doing?

7. FreedomFarm13

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    Everyone seems ok. No one is acting strangely or anything, but I've seen more of the bloody poop. Went and gave them all a treat today, and everyone came running and ate plenty (and ferociously). So, I don't know. I'm worried about the bloody poop, but everyone seems fine.

8. BeachMomma

BeachMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2015
    NC
    Random blood droppings can be normal. However..consistently is not. Please please read this article on cocci http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/search?q=Cocci
    With the new FDA regulations, Corid should not be effected and you should be able to buy it at feed stores. The powder runs about $25 not sure about the liquid. You will need to make a fresh gallon each day and this needs to be the only source of water. Do not add acv, probiotics, vitamins, etc during the 7 day Corid treatment. You'll give them probiotics in the water afterwards.

*if you're still unsure if it's cocci, take a sample to a vet. It should be a minimal charge for a fecal test.

9. FreedomFarm13

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    They've been on Corid for a couple days now. Everyone seems fine, so I'm hoping I caught it before it gets bad enough for me to lose anybody.

10. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Good.The pic that you posted was not intestinal lining.Thats cocci poop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by