Please help! Bowed legged ducklings.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by laisi, Apr 23, 2016.

1. laisi

laisi New Egg

Apr 23, 2016
    Hello gang,

My name is Adam in need of some help. I have four,4 week old pekin ducks which 3 of 4 started to develop leg issues about 2 weeks ago. I started supplementing their Niacin (B3) levels in their water and in food. Nothing seems to be improving. After many calls and research I ended up just going to a vet that would see them--even our local farm vet doesn't have the experience with pekins. In addition to the B3 supplements ive been giving, which is in a constant offered supply, the vet I saw administered a vitamin B complex injection to each and suggested I supplement their D3 levels. She also suggested a feed with a higher crude protein level. I was giving them feed at 20% but am now giving the full 22%. I am at least 500 dollars in so far and I am reaching out to anyone that may help as I know my window to reverse this is limited. Please, if anyone has suggestions or info, id greatly appreciate it. You can contact me here, or at [email protected], or 609-602-6194. Thanks!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    How long have they been on the niacin and what dosage are you currently giving them? '
    Also, what are the names of the feed you've been giving them?

3. duckeg

duckeg Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    I had same problem with my swedish duckling , he could barely walk but now he is almost fine , not 100 percent but almost .he can run jump and swim
    I started to give him brewer yeast and liquid calcium

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  4. laisi

laisi New Egg

Apr 23, 2016

Hey Kevin565, thank you for responding. So I am dissolving between 250-500mg of niacin into 1 gallon of water- multiple times a day. I also put about 2-3 tbls of yeast into their crumbles. I started out with a brand called Duram, then purina, and now I'm on a wild game feed which I'm unsure of the brand cause I am not home right now. I ordered mazuri from my feed store.

5. laisi

laisi New Egg

Apr 23, 2016
    Thank you, ducked! That is good news! Hopefully I can have the same luck. I read that the breed dies mature faster then the legs can handle. Hopping things square off.

6. laisi

laisi New Egg

Apr 23, 2016
    *duckeg
    *does

7. Frutfarm

Frutfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2016
    Woodward
    I have 8 Pekin almost one month old ducklings. When we moved them from the brooder box to their outdoor enclosure I noticed one walks way shorter and the feet point point so far in she trips herself. I read about niacin, but can't find Brewer's yeast. Tractor Supply here didn't have it. How soon should there be a noticeable difference, if that's the problem and is there a point that her gait is permanent?

8. duckeg

duckeg Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    U can see here
    Four weeks[​IMG]
    And now[​IMG]

9. AxolotlLove

AxolotlLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2016
    Hope your ducks get better!!! I've never had this problem, so I can't help you. Sorry!

10. Frutfarm

Frutfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2016
    Woodward
    Thank you for the pics of your duck's improvement! What brand/supplement did you use?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by