Please Help! Brahma with Injured foot and prolapse.

ChickenLovingGramma

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2021
I have a second girl in 1 week with a prolapse vent. I found Mable late afternoon in the coop in our barn between the nesting box and the wall. Not sure if she crawled under or fell from the top. I just saw here flapping her wings struggling. When I moved the box and carefully picked her up I saw an egg yolk on floor and another nearby with a shell. We had been getting double yolks and large eggs. I got her into the house into a warm bath with epsom salt and after a second bath I was able gently push the vent in. It looked as though there were two openings? I am new to this and worried I didn’t help her. My NH red last week didn’t make it. But I am hopeful for this sweet girl. She is resting in a dog crate with bedding and eating moistened pellets and water with vitamins and electrolytes. She’s drinking and eating quite a bit. She cannot walk she seems to limp. She is about 2.5-3lbs and 6 months old. I had some penicillin and gave her 50mg orally. What else should we be doing? Is the dosing correct?
Thank you

Attachments

• 72652C14-8499-4E2A-BD1B-B3D26F068ED9.jpeg
    72652C14-8499-4E2A-BD1B-B3D26F068ED9.jpeg
    468.8 KB · Views: 9
Can you give her a human calcium tablet now, and one each day for several days? That can help with egg shells and muscle contractions. Do you feed layer feed or provide crushed oyster shell? Do you see 2 vent openings, or do you see 2 openings in the prolapsed cloaca? If the latter, the cloaca has an opening for both the oviduct and the large intestines.

Can you give her a human calcium tablet now, and one each day for several days? That can help with egg shells and muscle contractions. Do you feed layer feed or provide crushed oyster shell? Do you see 2 vent openings, or do you see 2 openings in the prolapsed cloaca? If the latter, the cloaca has an opening for both the oviduct and the large intestines.
Girls were getting 16% layer pellets. Since last week we started on 18% crumblets. We only give veggies for treats never any bird treats. I occasionally give sunflower black oiled and chia or quinoa etc fruit I keep to a minimum but we do give it several times a week. And yes it is the latter. I wasn’t sure how to push in. So I gently pushed in . I am at work. She is eating and drinking . Quite a bit actually. Should I continue penicillin? Just did this am she ate with her food.

Girls were getting 16% layer pellets. Since last week we started on 18% crumblets. We only give veggies for treats never any bird treats. I occasionally give sunflower black oiled and chia or quinoa etc fruit I keep to a minimum but we do give it several times a week. And yes it is the latter. I wasn’t sure how to push in. So I gently pushed in . I am at work. She is eating and drinking . Quite a bit actually. Should I continue penicillin? Just did this am she ate with her food.
Could she have been trapped and the leg was stuck? Hopefully, the leg lameness is just temporary. Make aure that she can reach food and water. Here is a picture of the anatomy of the cloaca inside the vent:

https://www.dummies.com/wp-content/uploads/369900.image0.jpg

Attachments

• 93183128-F8AE-405F-B895-B73F492C417B.png
    93183128-F8AE-405F-B895-B73F492C417B.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 2B3EB222-24A1-4BED-B15A-3572B59B5016.png
    2B3EB222-24A1-4BED-B15A-3572B59B5016.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Mable is eating and drinking well. She’s vocal and standing she’s having some bowel movements my only concern is her vent still doesn’t look right. Is this just a case of more time needed or is there something I can do to correct? How long should I keep her separufrom flock? How do I reintroduce her? And yes I do have crushed oyster shells available at all times for the ladies. The above photos show what I mean. I found two other eggs from flocks with very large eggs . One is super jumbo. How can I stop these large eggs? She walked around the hall tonight. Just a few steps. Seems better just a bit.

Back
Top Bottom