1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please help broken chicken leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Adamschickfarm, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Adamschickfarm

Adamschickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Oregon
    hi one of my 4 month old silver laced cochins had the sliding chicken coop door fall on her leg while we were away. Her leg is either
    broken or severely bruised and the door ways 5 lbs. Anything we can do to help her? She is limping but eating and drinking and we put peroxide on her leg, please respond[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is the skin broken or is there a lot of swelling? Does she hold the leg up, and can she move her toes? I would keep her confined to a dog crate with food and vitamin water for a week or two, then check how she is walking. If the bones look out of alignment or it looks broken from a lot of swelling/bruising, then splinting it may be good. Caution with splinting to pad it well, use vet wrap, and do not wrap too tight or you can cause more damage to circulation. Here are a couple of splinting links:
    http://www.lbah.com/word/fractured-bird-leg/
    http://www.starlingtalk.com/fractures.htm

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she's still able to walk and the cut doesn't get infected she should heal very quickly. Keep her confined, quiet and away from other animals.

-Kathy

4. Adamschickfarm

Adamschickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Oregon
    she is doing fine now thank u for your help

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Thanks for the update!

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by