1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PLEASE help!!! Broody and candling eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RingneckParrot, Feb 5, 2013.

1. RingneckParrot

RingneckParrot Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    Sydney, NSW
    Ok, so my buff Sussex x Isa brown hen went broody, got her some fertile eggs, 10 eggs are under her and they are 7 days old. Tonight I was about to candle them for the very first time at night and I was really excited but nervous. I don't have a really strong torch, but I had an ice-cream container with a small hole cut out from the bottom and stuck the torch to the hole. I went down and managed to sneak an egg away my broody hen, Biddy. I shone the torch right into the egg and I saw a dark mass. I couldn't really see veins (don't know if that has something to do with the torch) so I switched torches to a different one - I think it was less brighter but anyway - and I think I picked up a different egg. Again, I saw a dark mass but this time I saw a black dot - the size of a small pea. I kept turning the egg to try and get a better view and the mass was moving ? Don't know if that had something to do with me turning it though.. I couldn't really see veins either.. Ohh I don't know what to do!! The next candling day is next week andfrom then is the hatch day. Biddy has been, well from what I could see, is doing quite a good job of incubating the eggs. Only every couple or 3 days does she get up to poop as I have the water and feed next to the nest. I'm worried that the embryos have died - I don't think they were ever infertile because of the mass but wouldit have been that I left it too long putting them under her? The masses take up a bit of space in the egg - something I would have expected to see at like, day 14 or something? Oh I don't know. :( I'm sorry about the really long message but I am really stuck and i'm a bit worried too. Could you please help me define what could be in my egg and if it's bad then what possibly caused it? Thankyou ever so much for your help, I REALLY appreciate it!!!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. RingneckParrot

Oct 8, 2012
    Sydney, NSW
    Thanks for your quick response!!! Yes, I have previously looked at those photos which are very good. What worries me is that I am not really seeing veins - just a dark mass with a black spot the size of a pea. Whether it is an eyeball or not I have no idea :/ gahh I don't know what to think!!! I don't really have an excellent torch which could impact a bit but still.. I expected to see something.. like veins? I don't know............ Thanks anyway :)

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    My hatching eggs were on day 7 yesterday and I candled them, didn't see much in the line of veins either, but I did see the little "black pea". I'm going to candle again on Friday and see what's happening. I should be able to see more then. My torch light is a little bit weak too and it's a small light, so tricky to candle with. But the first time I candled I could see the inside clearly, so it may be the battery's going flat. My son loves playing with the light. "Looking" for things...

5. RingneckParrot

Oct 8, 2012
    Sydney, NSW
    Lol Yes mine is flickering a bit - the small one that is.. but even with the big one I expected to see a little veins... Even if I can just see ONE egg that has veins i'll be happy!!! Do you think both embryos could be dead because I read somewhere that the 'black pea' could be a sign of bacterial infection or something like that... oh I don't know... I think i'll be like you and candle again on friday with a brighter torch!!!

6. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I don't know what to think, to be honest! I'm going to hang on 'till Friday and candle again. I'll know for sure if they're on the right track by then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by