Please Help broody hen is off the nest/ Updated/ Pics

Bantymama

Songster
12 Years
Apr 19, 2007
MN
She had 4 eggs one hatched yesterday. Tonight she was sitting with the baby but not on the rest of the eggs. They are still warm. I put them in the hatcher cause i don't trust her. The other 3 are at diffrent stages the last one should hatch on friday from what i can tell when i candled them over a week ago. I candled them and did not see much but darkness and one i thought i seen something in the air sac. Where do i keep the humidity to give them a good chance to make it.

Last edited:
wow, thats a bummer she got off of them. Keep the humidity around 60%.....they should be fine..altho the hatch date might be off by a few hours, because she got off of them and they cooled some. Good luck!

One thing you have to realize with broody hatching staggered hatches is take the chicks as they hatch so they will stay on the nest. I would put them in the hatcher if they are due to hatch in the next three days and get the humidity to 65. you should be able to tell candling if they have not or have pipped the internal memebrane

I just went to candle and 2 have no internal pip and the third one is. I put it up to my ear and i heard peeping. I let you know what happens.

Well one hatched and is doing fine. Still waiting on thre other two.
chick003.jpg

chick004.jpg

My black austrolorp stayed on her nest and hatched all her eggs. They were staggered over several days. She is a wonderfull mama. There were other chicks born with my bantams and she would try to steal them from the bantams. And some nights the bantam chicks would sleep with her. It was very cute. Now the bantams did not want anything to do with her chicks. Chickens are so funny. But Sydney is a wonderfull mama.

Are you going to try to put the newly hatched ones back in with mama?

I put this new one under this morning while it was dark and so far so good. The other 2 should hatch with in the next couple of days and im going to put them under her. I hope she will except them.

Back
Top Bottom