Please help, broody squished egg! NEW EMEGANCY post 10

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Trophamus, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Trophamus

Trophamus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    Hi,

so i have have a broody brahma names Puffin, and when i went on holiday for a few days my sister who was meant to collect eggs in for me was too scared to get the ones Puffin had stolen out from under her.When i candled them only 1 had a chick and i couldn't just throw it away so i left it with her, im not exactly sure how old it is now but last night i canled it and it was fullblack one end with the chicks head positioned there, so i guessed it was about ready to pip. This morning when i went to check on her and i pulled the egg out, to my horrer she as squished it! so the egg i cracked ito pieces however most of the membrane is intact apart from a few pieces at first i thought the chick was dead but then i did a little chhep at me, the beek is out of the membrane and shel an its breathing but the eye is closed and stll wrapped in membrane.

i have only ever succesfully hatched ih a broody once before(countless times in an inci though) so this has never happened before and im not sure what to do, but im scared the chcik will become shrink wrapped, what do i do ? [​IMG]

thanks, Mia

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    This happened to me once, a long time ago. The chick did become shrink wrapped.

I don't normally help chicks hatch, but I did help this one. I put warm water on the membrane to soften it and used a pair of tweezers to remove it from the chick. Timing is critical. If you try to do it too soon, there will be blood. I imagine the chick could bleed out and die. In the case of my chick, it was pretty obvious that the membrane was all dried out and there was no blood in it. Also, the shell was still intact on the bottom, and I didn't mess with that, because I couldn't tell if it was ready or not. Basicly, it took me forever. It wasn't a one-shot deal. I kept going back out and doing a little more, then putting the baby back under momma. That particular broody hen of mine is very docile, and everything worked out fine.

I guess the best advice I can give you is to be very careful about it.

Good luck!

3. Trophamus

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    OK, i didn't see much blood apart from a small part of the membrane but im just worrie its under developed, how can i tell if its ready to come out?

4. Trophamus

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    just went outside with some tweasers, put y hand under and pulled out a wriggling chick [​IMG] the little thing managed to get out :rolleyes:on its own, its necks a bit droopy and there is a littl ebit of unabsorbed yolk but im not to worried about that as iv had that before and its been fine, the problem is we really didn't expect this on to hatch and there in the main coop, but we litterlly have NOWHERE to put them, due to 2 unexpected broody hatches we have a mum and 2 chicks in one spare rabbit house, the 13 chickes the other one hatched along with my first hatch living in the 2nd chicken house, the sablepoots that used to live there have been kicked out and are living in the toilet and some younger chickens are living in the 2nd rabbit house. and i can't take the baby away because the brooder has 6 , 1 and a half week old chicks in and the dogcage next to the brooder had 4 growers in it :S

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    If it were me, i would just let that mama care for her lone baby in the population. Maybe just give them a place in the coop that has limited access - like a pallet up against the wall that they can hide behind.

Congratulations on your hatch! [​IMG]

6. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    If you do remove the membrane; keep a lit candle and a small pin/needle close by. That way if you do get some bleeding you can cauterize it with a sterile, hot needle.

7. Trophamus

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    pumkinpeep, thanks [​IMG] do you think i'll get any problems from the cockerels?

lynxs1981, thanks thats some really good advice [​IMG]

8. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:I guess you have to gauge the personalities of your own chickens, but i have personally never had that problem. The mother hen makes her and her chicks' position pretty clear. If they weren't with their mama hen, it might be different. The mother will probably keep them mostly separate from the flock, but i've never seen the boys go attacking the babies with a mother hen. I always watch, though, to make sure things are on the up 'n' up before i leave them totally alone.

9. Trophamus

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    okay thnaks [​IMG] asi said she's a brahma so she's big, pluss she is the fattest chicken i have ever owned [​IMG] she's double the size of her sisters, at the moment she's the biggest hen in that group so i think she will be able hold her own [​IMG] il just keep her brother away as he has a nasty temper but leave Trophamus, my main cockerel and her dad in there [​IMG]

10. Trophamus

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    OK really bad news!!!! the little bit of yolk has like grown or more has come out or something and there is a lot of it!! its oozing some yolk ooozing out from it and there is some blood!!

[​IMG]

should i remove it and put it in an incubator or something, my rcom will get up to temperature and humidity very quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by