Please Help, brought pet rooster in house and then found thousands of tiny black mites all over

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mocummins, Nov 19, 2014.

1. mocummins

mocummins New Egg

Nov 19, 2014
    Ok so it's cold and crappy out and my gimpy rooster "Sergio" was out in the snow so I brought him in the house and stuck him in a box in the kitchen to warm up. I couple hours later I went to check on him and gave him water. I went back to the sink and discovered my arm covered in tiny moving black dots. I washed them off real quick, looked at Sergio and realized he was covered in them as was the edges of his box. He got thrown back into the coop, but in the process I got more on me, after which I took a really long shower, even though the heebie jeebies are not going away.

I don't know what to do I keep finding them. The poor dogs are sleeping outside tonight, until I can talk to my vet. I'm just worried because I have a 4 month old baby, and I am so worried about them getting to him. I'm freaked out, ready to get rid of all my darn chickens, and burn my house down. I have such serious creepy crawlies now. I also keep bunnies in the same coop as the chickens so I need to know if they can effect my bunnies all of whom I am very attached to. Ahhhh so itchy.

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between northern fowl mites, and red mites. These suckers were tiny, and I have never noticed before until I brought Sergio into the warm house, then bam millions of the little ********.

Help! I have had chickens my whole life, and am always bringing them in the house, but this is the first time I have ever seen something like this. Oh yeah and I am in Northern Michigan, under about three feet of snow and its not even turkey day.

Oh yeah I need to know if ducks can get them too, pheasants, and geese as well

2. cooliechick

cooliechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Go to your local farm store and buy some poultry dust and dust him, the shavings, nest boxes and all the rest of your birds. Yes, ducks, geese, etc. can get them, as well as house birds (canaries, etc). They usually get them from the wild birds. Also dust the floor/bedding and the roosts. You and your family can go on a day trip... shopping or ? while you bomb your house with a good bug bomb. Usually, it is 4 hours that you must not enter the house. Read the directions on the bomb. I like the ones that are a fog, rather than a mist. The mist ones make an oily deposit... the fog ones don't. I like the Raid Foggers. You can conquer this!

3. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    I will agree with cooliechick. Just be sure to dust all the chickens around the neck, under the ings and around the vent area. Also dust the roost bar. You will get beyond this. Do a total cleanout as soon as you can.
    Welcome to BYC.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    This link with pics of lice/mites will help you identify what type(s) of mites you're dealing with, you'll need a magnifying glass. Sevin dust will work also:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140

5. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    Poultry mites do not stay on people, or other mammals. They are specific to poultry. When I first discovered Northern Fowl mites on my chickens, I used a permethrin poultry dust that worked in controlling the mite population for a year or so, then the poultry dust didn't work any longer. Mites build immunity towards it. Then I used a flea and tick spray for dogs and cats. Don't do this, it is bad for chickens. What I have found that works the best is food grade diatomaceous earth. It is natural, so the mites cannot build immunity against it. It is tiny bony sea creatures that cuts the outer skin of the mites all up and the mites dehydrate and die. The mites avoid whatever I put it on. I mix it in their dust bathing areas with the dirt/sand. Put it on their roosts, mix it in the shavings in the nest boxes, mix some on the floor in the shavings. You can put it directly on your chickens also. I dust one rooster regularly with it who doesn't dust bathe much himself. BUT, BE CAREFUL USING IT: as it is very dusty and you do not want to inhale it, it can damage your lungs. I have worn a dust mask before when using it, or mostly I use small amounts at a time. I don't want my chickens breathing it either. Some people use sand on their coop floors, as mites also hate sand. Also, when I removed my mite infested rooster from my house, the mites did not stay. Also, the mites will attack the most unhealthy chickens more than the others. They also like the more fluffy breeds such as Orpingtons and Cochins. There is much information on this website regarding diatomaceous earth. Of course, I would like to get rid of the mites forever, and that will take a different chicken house.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I use poultry dust on the birds and Sevin spray in the coop. I like the spray because to me it's easier to get it into all the nooks and crannies in the coop where the bugs like to hide. You really do have to strip the coop, spray it well and treat the birds. You also have to make sure you repeat this process every 7 to 10 days since the treatment won't kill the mite eggs. If you don't retreat, the eggs hatch and you are right back at square one. It make take a few treatments to get it under control.

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    How did you make out? I'm currently battling a bad mite infestation too (I've been battling those nasty little bugs since July).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by