please help.. Buff Brahma's -pullets or cocks... b/c they are jerks.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rxchick, Apr 30, 2017.

1. rxchick

rxchick New Egg

Jul 4, 2013
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Hi! I got 5 buff brahma's "pullets" and all but one are mean. We had Light Brahmas in the past and were not like this. I got the 5 Brahma's then a week later we got 3 black silkies... They pecked at the silkies so I separated them until the silkies got bigger. 3 weeks later, they are still just vicious attackers to these silkies whenever I put them together. Talked to the people at the feed store and they think we got roosters. Please help. I would start all over but my little daughters are attached to them. Here are some pictures 2 of the chickens have different coloring. One has a huge tail. No combs on any yet. They are only 4 weeks old, but hoping for the best.
    Chicken one: Hope

Chicken two:Angie[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    View two of Angie aka "evil"
    Chicken 3 Buff Gal below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Above/; Eggpa or Eggma? See the tail?

[​IMG]

Chicken above? [​IMG]

hey hey and Hope!

2. rxchick

rxchick New Egg

Jul 4, 2013
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Also if anyone has any ideas to keep them? Let me know... if and only if they are hens

Thanks!

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Chicken Obsessed

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Good news! They all look female. The only one that makes me pause at all is the slower to feather one in the last pic. The pic is blurry when I blow it up so I cannot tell if the wing shoulders are coming in white or if it is just fuzz.

Bad news...... They are NOT buffs. They are dark Brahma.

Personally I love the dark brahma.
    This is Cinders next to my bantam cochin.
    [​IMG]

She is to the back left in the pic. Kinda hard to miss the big gal.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    2 people like this.
  4. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I have no idea why they would be aggressive. Mine are the absolute most docile in the flock. They actually step aside when the bantam says to.

Now then looking at ages.... The brahma are a month old and the silkies are 3 weeks. I would do introduction the same as adult birds at this point. Put them in areas right next to each other. Make sure you have it so they can see each other but not peck! It will be getting much warmer this weekend so on Saturday if you can put them in an outdoor play area. Keep a close eye and break up only the serious pecking. They will peck, it is normal and why it is called a pecking order. Repeat the play time in the afternoons every day. By the end of next week they should be able to live together. They need to get used to each other.
    I put things the younger can hide behind like a board or cardboard box. Keep multiple feeders and water dishes so no guarding can happen. I put a set on both sides of the hide behind so no one ends up hungry.

Right now I have a dark brahma about 6 weeks old in with one month old BA chicks. No issues at all.

How bad is the pecking? Are they drawing blood? Pulling feathers out? Just making the odd peck here and there?

Being brutal is not normal for the breed at all.

1 person likes this.
  5. ambabya

ambabya Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Pullets so far but it's early

6. rxchick

rxchick New Egg

Jul 4, 2013
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Yes, They are pulling out feathers among each others and to the silkies. I know the pecking order needs to happen... like high school days.. but this is ridiculous. There is no blood yet.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Those are Dark Brahmas, not buffs. And they are easily sexed by looking at the chest feathers. Females have penciled chest feathers, males have solid black chests.

8. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    How much space do they have? What feed are they on?

I cannot imagine why they are being horrid beasties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by