PLEASE HELP - button quail chick chirping in egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by evieblk, Nov 6, 2011.

1. evieblk

evieblk Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    Hello all, i am at my wits end as our button quail mama decided to leave her other 7eggs cos she has got 5chicks with her (she left the nest). I have put them in a quick DIY "incubator". Last night i heard chirping from 1egg. It has been 24hrs now, i dare not listen to see if it is still chirping or not tonight. It has been 24hrs now, should i help the egg [​IMG]? I am so confused and worried. I dont know how long our custard has been incubating as the eggs were not all laid before she started sitting on them. PLEASE help. I am so bad at candling so havent attempted to try that. Thank you kindly..... (worried)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. evieblk

Nov 6, 2011
    oops sorry i posted at the wrong place? (newbie) jsut posted at the quail section - thank you.

3. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Best thing to do is let nature take it's course. If your not sure when hatch day is it may be to soon to help. Buttons are so small and hard to see in you really can't tell from the few that we have hatched over the past weeks. look for pips and maybe zips and hope for the best.

4. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    And btw welcome to the forums [​IMG]

5. evieblk

Nov 6, 2011
    aww- thanks for welcome! [​IMG][​IMG] I have been reading as much as i can here - all very overwhelming at the moment.
    And very educational for me. First time having to deal with these sort of things! [​IMG] It has been awesome.

At the moment between our 2hens which laid, we have 13 button quail chicks. 6abandoned eggs from custard after her eggs started hatching, and 10eggs from brownie who just doesnt have the dedication to sit on her eggs (she keeps walking up and down, and wants the male with her, so she's been singing and not interested to spend time on her eggs). She is very strong layer though *wow* so those eggs are also in the incubator.

Honestly was not at all prepared for the above! 1st batch of 10eggs: Made lots of mistakes - lost 1chick to drowning (so improvised the incubator - totally didnt see that coming), lost 1chick cos thermometer fell on it!, 4eggs were infertile, managed to hatch 4eggs (1chick is not well looks like it is constantly having trouble trying to poo? maybe its bowel system has a problem?, 3are looking good) And this is when we didnt know anything about the "rules" of incubation. (learning, learning, learning)

Didnt expect more eggs to come, but was so relieved when custard sat on 15eggs! Until she abandoned 7of them, after 8hatched! Brownie continued to lay and didnt sit on her 10eggs. what a drama! [​IMG] [​IMG] all so exciting and magical at the same time. Thank you for replying to my post!! x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by