1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Please Help BYC! Chick sexing troubles

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wolfgirl9, Mar 21, 2015.

1. wolfgirl9

wolfgirl9 In the Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    I have asked my mom if i can get a few baby chickens because i only have 2 others. She said yes but only if i get hens. Does anyone know how to sex 2 week old chicks? Please tell me there is a way other than expensive vet service... I've heard about sex linked chickens but i'm not entirely sure what those are....[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. havery

havery Chirping

Feb 27, 2015
    East Texas
    Depends on the breed. What are they?

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Enabler Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Golden comet or red sex link are the reddish hens and Black sex link are a black hen with some red on the neck/chest.

You could also get chicks that have been hatchery sexed as pullets with a high chance of getting just females.

Here is a link to a nice description of what a sex linked chicken is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_link

4. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Songster

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Agreed. There are multiple sex-linked breeds that you could get such as the ones above. Barred Rocks also can be sex-linked and so can Welsummers. Since it's still really hard to sex at 2 weeks you could get them a little bit older (at the 4-5 week mark is normally when you can tell)

5. wolfgirl9

wolfgirl9 In the Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    Thank you for the advice everyone i will check out the site in the link and the breed of chicken i have is bantam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: