Please help calm mine and my children's anxiety.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LoveMyChicks2, Dec 24, 2009.

1. LoveMyChicks2

LoveMyChicks2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2009
    Raeford, North Carolina
    First of all, forgive me if this has been asked and answered. I've searched until I can search no more. [​IMG] One of our girls (a spectacular laying RIR) had a peach colored comb and wattle (2d time we have seen this on her). Within minutes it returns to its normal pretty red color. It really upsets my children because they know frostbite can happen. Sooo..is she okay, what's going on? She is healthy, no mites, laying good, seems happy, etc. Should we be worried?

2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

[​IMG] I dont know what is happening there, but if she is eating and drinking normally, and laying the I would say she is fine. I dont know what else to suggest, but I hope someone will [​IMG]

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I wouldn't be worried. She sounds just fine. It may be normal.

4. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Frostbite is a deep purple/blue.

Peach is ok, is she laying? Usually pullets that aren't laying yet are "peachy", or a hen who isn't actively laying.

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I've noticed that the color of my hens' combs does change. Sometimes within a matter of minutes or maybe hours. There are times when they are so red they look like they are on fire, then later, less so. I don't know that I've seen the red go so pale that I'd call it peachy.

But if she is otherwise healthy, it may just be a normal, individual thing.

6. LoveMyChicks2

LoveMyChicks2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2009
    Raeford, North Carolina
    Thank you all for your responses. I thought she was okay,. but my children were so upset so now I'll set their minds to ease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by