Please help! Can someone tell me how old and what type these chics are?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bm12171, Jan 7, 2013.

1. bm12171

bm12171 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2012
    Bruceville, IN
    Hello everyone!! I just bought some baby chics from the local auction house. The only thing it said on the box was "ASSORTATED CHICS, WILL START LAYING IN APRIL" I have no idea how old - although from looks of their feathers - about 3 weeks old; plus, I have no idea what kind they are. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If more pics are needed, I can take some more where you can see each chic differently. Thanks again!!
    [​IMG]

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

i would say three-four weeks, as for breeds, the black ones look like austrolorps, and the gold ones maybe buff orpingtons, or isa browns? as for the white chicks, I have no idea. I am no expert, but I hope this helps!

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, probably closer to 3 weeks like you mentioned. The white ones could be leghorns, and I agree that the gold to red ones could be red sex links and the black ones could be Australorps. Really not sure on the light chipmunky birds. Some of them could be crosses as well. You'll have to post more pictures as they grow!

4. bm12171

bm12171 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2012
    Bruceville, IN
    Thank you both. I sure will post pics as they grow to be able to determine later. I'm new at this and learning as I go, so this site, along with your help has been amazing. Thank you, thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by