PLEASE HELP >> CANDLING

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mikeys chickens, Feb 26, 2013.

1. mikeys chickens

mikeys chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2012
    HEY guys i have had the eggs in the incubator since last friday...soo been 4 days ...should i see anything ?? ....i have white eggs soo i can see clearly ....but cant see nothing if that makes sence ?? ..soo question is should i bebale to see anything ?

i am worried my incubator may not be up to temp !!

i have a octagon 10 incubator ..have have put it as high as it can gooo ...as on the internet says the factory settings arr up to 102f !!

id appreciate the help

many thanks :)

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I would wait until day 7 to candle eggs, then recandle on day 14 and 18 to check the air sac growth. You can use this graph to compare to:

[​IMG]
    If the air sac is growing too quickly- then your humidity should be raised. And vise versa. [​IMG]

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Here's a link with lots of pictures to show you what you should be able to see when candling:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/pictures-and-videos-of-candling-chicken-eggs

Also, do you have a thermometer actually in the incubator? The ideal temperature to incubate eggs is slightly less than 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Occasional spikes above or below that can be taken in stride, but running consistently too warm or too cool can wreck your hatch rate!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You may or may not be able to see things that early. Are you candling in a dark room? That helps immensely. Make sure to wash hands before handling eggs. My breeds eggs are prone to be porous and tan so hard to see in many eggs. I wait to day 10 then check air cells again day 14 also toss any quitters or clears then. Sometimes I candle again day 18 and sometimes not. By then it's a bit late to change air cells and likely have taken out all clears by then anyway.

5. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    Some will show development but you could also have some late starters that won't show anything on day 4. I don't handle my eggs when I candle, I use a flashlight style candler and I just illuminate the egg top-down while it's in the turner, so i will sometimes check on day 4 just to abate my curiosity, and it doesn't do any harm since I'm not handling them. You could check them today but don't be discouraged if some don't show anything, they still have time!

Do you have a thermometer in the bator to tell you what the temp is?

6. mikeys chickens

mikeys chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2012
    Hey guys soo much thanks for your help !!
    i finally have my incbator sorted !! at 100 f :)
    i put another batch in today too :)
    so i shall check them tomorrow and then again on the 18th day :)
    and yes i doo have a thermometer in there :)

you guys are awsome thank you :)
    [​IMG] here is my bator :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by