Please help, cant sleep :(!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by goldfishcracker, Apr 28, 2017.

1. goldfishcracker

goldfishcracker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2017
    So i got my runner ducklings 2 days ago (theyre 8 days old now) and they poop a lot. I clean their coop out once/twice a day but they poop often and i get worried and paranoid a few hours after, just incase its too dirty for them. Do they mind the poop? Im way too paranoid to sleep :(

also its mentally super hard for me to clean their coop that often since they really hate being picked up (in general) and put in the other coop while i clean their main one out. will they get used to me picking them up? Im very gentle and they even fall asleep when i pet them a lot of the time!

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Have no worries..:).....
    Yes..., they will get used to you cleaning them and they do poop lots..They are fine if your using pine shavings for a couple of days without cleaning unless it gets poopy or wet..Ducklings need to drink water and dunk their total heads under water..:)

3. goldfishcracker

goldfishcracker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2017

Thats great :) thank you. I give them a couple bowls of water to dip their heads in but they end up drinking that water instead of their water bowl water lol!

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

That's okay...Its all just water to them...:)

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I stumbled on a nice system for managing water after my ducks were grown. If I ever brood ducklings again I will do it with them. I had an unused plastic dog crate. I separated the top and the bottom. I took the door off. I put a few inches of sawdust in the bottom, and put the waterer on top of that. It catches all the splash and keeps the bedding in much better condition.

I remember with my Runners, it seems they grew so fast that solutions that worked a few days ago had to be modified again. I remember sleepless nights, too.

Have you seen the sticky on Raising Ducklings? There is a link to stickies at the top of the Duck Forum index. Blue letters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by