PLEASE HELP!! Cedar okay for chickens??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GertiesMommy, Jul 6, 2016.

1. GertiesMommy

GertiesMommy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2015
    Okay so I rescued a young RIR hen and I have decided right now that I only want one chicken so I am going to keep her as a house pet for right now. I have been keeping her in my spare bathroom but with my parents coming to stay with me I won't be able to keep her in there. I have a fairly large cedar sauna in my bathroom that my husband and I don't use at all, if the door is left open is it safe to make that my hens own little "bedroom." I would keep it very well ventilated and sanitized and she would only be in there at night. I have heard that cedar isn't good for chickens because of the odor it emits but my sauna does not have an over whelming smell at all. Would it be safe to keep her in there at night?? Please help!

2. Elky

Elky Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    In the Chicken Run
    Cedar is actually fine for chickens! I don't think you would have any problems keeping her there ^^

3. Fletch83

Fletch83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Texas
    I think it has to do with the aromatic odors that come from the oil in cedar. You might get some conflicting opinions on this as some believe it can cause respiratory illness without proper ventilation.

4. Elky

Elky Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    In the Chicken Run
    If she were to close the door yes, but if she keeps it clean and ventilated it should be fine! And its only for a night :)

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    With door open (covered by mesh to keep hen in there?), and bathroom well ventilated, it should be OK.
    Close the door and you may have a 'canary in the coal mine' scenario.

6. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    It may have a bit to do with cedar odor, but more to do with splinters found in cedar chips and shavings. Birds, including chickens like to roost in cedar trees because it helps keep pests (bugs) off them. Same deal with dogs. Cedar is fine as long as they are unable to get the splinters.

7. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts

What would it have to do with splinters?

8. Weehopper

Feb 26, 2015
    Very small splinters get in their feet and eyes. Very irritating.

9. Weehopper

Feb 26, 2015
    Not meaning your sauna..whole different story. I am sure it would be fine. :)

10. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    The problem with cedar is the volatile aroma. I use the pure oil to get rid of creepy crawlies both on them and when fogging the coop. I also use this chips lightly under the bedding with no problems because I VENTILATE!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by