1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please help! chick has a hole in his beak,what can it be?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kris1990, Mar 21, 2016.

1. kris1990

kris1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    One of our silkies has a hole in it's beak. What can it be? We just noticed it. Looks like it has/had blood inside. Can it be a disease? Or may be they a lacking something? We feed organic feed starter and grower. They have 24/7 access to water and food and still have their heat lamp on.
    [​IMG]

2. kris1990

Jul 3, 2015
    I tried to make as good picture as possible. If needs better I'll try again.
    It's not weak. Eats and drinks water normally. It's active too.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    my phone unfortunately won't let me zoom in on the photo but I'm wondering if he/she has or had a soft beak for whatever reason? is the beak strong and hard now or have you checked? is there a foul smell by his/her beak? have you checked his/her mouth for any fungus or yeast growth? I'm trying to figure what could have caused this??

4. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The beak appears scabrous. Chick beaks should be smooth and clean. It may be a result of fungal growth, like athlete's foot. How the chick could get it would be a mystery, unless you have a very damp, humid environment.

I would paint some Blu-kote on it. It's anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.

Another, even more remote, possibility is mice. Where are you brooding these chicks?

5. kris1990

Jul 3, 2015

It doesn't look like it has a soft beak,it's pretty hard. There is no noticeable smell coming from it and there is nothing forming in it's mouth.

6. kris1990

Jul 3, 2015

We usually free range our chicken but they have a house and a fenced yard for the night and when it's very cold. We put the chicks there when they get bigger. For the beginning they have their own fenced space and they have 24/7 access to food and water and a working heat lamp and they have saw dust on the floor that we change.

7. kris1990

Jul 3, 2015
    Right now this one is in the house for observation

8. kris1990

Jul 3, 2015
    One of our roosters burnt his feathers on the heat lamp we put in the chicken house when it was cold. His feathers still don't want to grow back. Any ideas how to make them grow? We got feather fixing food but it doesn't helpm[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Oh my gosh! Poor guy. I'd just give it some time, increase protein, keep it clean. I hope he heals real soon!

10. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    If the burn was bad he may never grow the feather back. But it may not happen until he molts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by