Please help! Chick hatching!!

Bryce227

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2021
Hello, I have 25 eggs in my incubator and today is day 20. I have 2 chicks that have already pipped and began to hatch. My problem is, I don’t know exactly how to tell if it is shrinkwrapped. The chick has a very thin clear almost like a film that I can see around him but not on his beak(his beak is exposed). But I have no idea If this means he is shrinkwrapped or if it’s just normal for all chicks to have a very thin clear film around them when hatching. Thank you all!

That sounds normal. It's actually quite unusual for chicks to get shrink wrapped and it's never happened to me, even when I unexpectedly found one externally pipped at 25% humidity.

X2. It sounds normal. How long ago did it pip? What's your humidity been like? Have you kept the incubator closed up since they pipped? They can take up to 24 hours from pip to hatch. If it's beak is sticking out and breathing, I wouldn't worry for a while. I've only done 4 hatches, at 20 eggs each, but I've only had to assist 1 chick.

X2. It sounds normal. How long ago did it pip? What's your humidity been like? Have you kept the incubator closed up since they pipped? They can take up to 24 hours from pip to hatch. If it's beak is sticking out and breathing, I wouldn't worry for a while. I've only done 4 hatches, at 20 eggs each, but I've only had to assist 1 chick.
As long as I know I am pretty sure he has only been pipped for around eight hours. He has made about a quarter sized hole in the egg so far, my humidity is right at 75% and I did open my incubator once after he pipped but it was for under probably five seconds. I just took the towel that I had in there out very very very quickly

That sounds normal. It's actually quite unusual for chicks to get shrink wrapped and it's never happened to me, even when I unexpectedly found one externally pipped at 25% humidity.
OK good, I was starting to worry but now I feel a little bit better. Thank you!

As long as I know I am pretty sure he has only been pipped for around eight hours. He has made about a quarter sized hole in the egg so far, my humidity is right at 75% and I did open my incubator once after he pipped but it was for under probably five seconds. I just took the towel that I had in there out very very very quickly
All sounds good. Keep us posted on the hatch.

Back
Top Bottom