PLEASE HELP!! CHICK IN TROUBLE!!

BabyGirl256

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2016
Ok so this little chick hatched a day early. This is hanging out of his butt

I have read that it can go inside of them, but this is large!! This is what the inside of the incubator looked like when I found him.

I am guessing there were 2 yolks???

Should I tie this off with a string so that it dies and falls off?? I read you can do that on a thread here... But I am scared to hurt him
1f614.png
. Please HELP!!

Hmmm... We have had several eggs with 2 yolks but only 1 forms. I am just scared this little chick is going to step on it and pull it out further
1f615.png

It isn't a good idea to incubate double yolk eggs. Twinning is close to a death sentence. Twins don't work the same way in egg layers as it does with mammals.

Last edited:
We are new at incubating. Our hens will not consistently lay on their eggs, and just step on them and knock them around. So we started incubating. This is our second hatching. We didn't know that it was double yolk until the hatch. The egg shell was porous and hard to see through. But now this is looking more like an umbilical cord than a yolk sac IMO

20 days into incubation, ALMOST 21. All my other chicks have hatched 22—24 days into incubation.

@ChickenCanoe this is a better picture. I am so confused, bc this doesn't look anything like the small yolk sacks that went up inside my other chicks
1f614.png
it looks pretty grim to me... I dunno if he/she will make it, but I am not going to mess with it and harm the chick further.

Any advice @caesargirl @casportpony @AmyLynn2374 it would be very much appreciated. I am having an anxiety attack
1f614.png
I feel horrible not knowing what to do.

There isn't much you can do. When chicks hatch with unabsorbed yolks, the outcome is usually pretty grim. About all you can do is keep the chick warm and comfortable until the end. I really wish I could tell you something happier. But, some of them just don't make it.

Back
Top Bottom