Please Help- chick is failing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pele, May 6, 2011.

1. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I posted this in the baby chick forum, but havn't gotten any replies. I have a 1 week old chick that I believe has sour crop. Her beak smells like curdled milk, and her crop is really squishy (although not that badly distended).

I am doing my best to feed her olive oil and live culture yogurt with an eyedropper, but that is predictably not going smoothly.

Is there anything else I can do for her? Any other treatments beyond trying to make her vomit (which I think is too dangerous for such a young chick).

Anything helps.

2. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    Unfortunately until you empty the crop nothing will help. The sour part needs to go....Has she had anything to eat besides starter food? If so she needs grit. I would stick with starter once you empty the crop. Add some Poly Vi Sol to the water you give her. keep her on water for a day or so.

3. farrellyred

farrellyred Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    can you post a pic? that might help but im no expert all the same

4. Pele

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I could post a pic, but this is an internal dysfunction, so all you'd see is a baby chicken giving the camera stink eye.

I think I will try to induce vomiting, though I'm concerned she's going to aspirate the crop contents. I guess that's better than a slow death by infected crop. [​IMG]

I have been feeding them all grit along with starter in case they pic up and eat something random, but it could be that she's failed to eat any.

I'll let you know how it goes.

5. Pele

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Thank you for those of you who responded. We took her to the vet and got her flushed, and on some anti-biotics. The vet gave us a teeny tiny feeding tube for our little 1.7 ounce bruiser, and she's definitely improving!

Yay! [​IMG]

6. farrellyred

farrellyred Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Quote:excellent [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by