Please help! Chick just vomited!!

Chick_In_The_Burbs

Songster
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Western Washington
My 4.5 week old Silver Spangled Hamburg just threw up! There was no food in it, it just looked like thick water! There was a lot of it too! She's also been having really loose poo/diarea but I wasn't too concerned until this...

Any ideas???

Add: She doesn't seem to be eating much either.
Bedding = pine shavings
Food = purina chick feed
there waterer was cleaned and refilled this morning
I have been giving them treats she doesn't seem to go for them.
They do get some grit every day as well (with the treats).

Last edited:
I just can't imagine what is going on, have you see it eating today? is it gulping water? have you tried to intice it to eat with something more yummy than it's feed. maybe some yogurt with feed mixed into it.. I have 2 chicks in my house right now that eat their starter food with homemade kefir mixed in..

I've been watching her pretty closely for the last 15 min (ran upstairs to get the computer and came back down after she hurled). She's pecked at the food a bit but I don't think she ate much. I also have a baby cake in there for them so they have an alternative food source (she loved the block before but she's ignoring it now). She just took a drink of water.

Oh, dear... She seams to be eating the tiniest flakes from the sawdust. Could that be causing a blockage?

It could but I have to chicks that are 8weeks old in my house that are on shavings too and I see them pecking at the small dust shavings and their okay.. I would try to get her to eat. do you have plain yogurt? most chickens like it.. also some baby vitamins w/o iron might give her a boost too. Baby cake is good but she might just need something else to intice her to eat. empty crop means she's not getting any nutrition

Last edited:
I'll try the yogurt, DH just called and said he bought some a little bit ago (I didn't know we had any). She wouldn't even eat the meal worms this morning though.
sad.png
I'd specifically distract the others to give her one and she'd just grab it and toss it/drop it.

The water has vitamins in it.

Anyway, running for the fridge...

Yogurt is in play.
fl.gif

So far thy've decided it's not going to kill them but otherwise they are ignoring it...

She pecked at the regular food again (maybe ate 3 grains??) and then ran over and hit the water. She's definantly tanking up on the fluids.

Back
Top Bottom