PLEASE HELP!! Chick not acting right!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peep-Chicken, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    My polish bantam chick is a little over a week old, seemed to walk on his hocks. The four other chicks seem to trample him. When he tries to walk he's un stable. their water is quite dirty, is that causing this? im getting fresh now. He seems to just lie there. What do I do please help!!

[​IMG]

2. angel8035

angel8035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    What are you feeding? I have heard this could be a vitamin imbalance. You could try getting some "poultry drench" at the farm supply store. You give them a drop right in the beak and it gives them an instant shot of vitamins. Be careful not to force it down the throat cause you could aspirate her - just dribble it on the side of the beak or just inside and let her swallow it. Make sure you are feeding chick starter food only right now - it is the complete nutrition they need, usually.

1 person likes this.
  3. dwalters

dwalters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    Love the mohawk....super cute

1 person likes this.
  4. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes it is starter food, she is also shaking, we still have the heat lamp. I'm afraid tomorrow would be to late. We are feeding them DuMor Chick Starter.

5. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Thanks

6. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    This is whats in it. Crude Protein (min.) 20.00%, Lysine (min.) 1.00%, Methionine (min.) .50%, Crude Fat (min.) 2.50%, Crude Fiber (max.) 4.50%, Calcium (Ca) (min.) .70%, Calcium (Ca) (max.) 1.20%, Phosphorus (P) (min.) .65%, Salt (NaCl) (min.) .25%, Salt (NaCl) (max.) .75%, Ruminant meat and bone meal free

7. angel8035

angel8035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    I'm sorry, I don't really know what else to do. Sometimes chicks don't thrive and there's nothing you can really do. If you think she might not last the night, you could try offering some hard boiled egg yolks as a high energy booster food. Have you seen her eating and drinking? Does she have food in her crop?

1 person likes this.
  8. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd it too hot? It's maybe 95 in there, I can try and mind the lamp back. They can get out of the heat but the polish just doesn't seem to move much. Ill have to try that

9. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Could it be of pasty butt? Now that I look she has pretty bad pasty butt

10. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh I think it WAS pasty butt! I feel horrible at letting this happen. I will from now on be more watchful. After I cleanest her butt and set her back in she started to poop! A lot of times. Do y'all think this was caused from pasty butt?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by