Please help... chick sad update :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by troop, Sep 13, 2011.

1. troop

troop Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    Hi one of my mixed breed hens vanished and managed to appear with a brood of 14 chicks. 13 are very healthy and happy little critters but i found one i the nest site rather weak and unable to stand i have brought it in kept it warm and he has perked up but he still cant stand up he tries and can push himself along but not physically stand. He is drinking a little and i have managed to get a small amount of crumb down him today ... any advice please and thanks x

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Hello! And [​IMG] It sounds good what your doing. My advice would be not to handle the chick unless you need too (like diping its peek in the water).

Keep the chick as warm (not to hot) as you can. Its good if you can get it to eat. If he doesn't eat, then he will get to weak to eat at all.

Please keep me updated on his progress!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2011
  3. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

do his feet and little legs look ok? hoping for the best! food and water and warmth :) hoping someone else chimes in. I would be tempted to bring him in and care for it...till he gets his little legs back

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Some chicks are just not meant to make it. If you deal with living animals, you sometimes have to deal with dead or dying animals. And if it is malformed, it may be kinder to end it quickly. So just be prepared.

What you are doing sounds about right. Try keeping it warm, around 90 to 95 degrees, and see that it is eating and drinking. If it is very young, like less than three days old, it really does not need to eat and drink, but I'd feed and water it anyway. It maybe that it is so young that it just needs to rest and recover from a rough hatch, or maybe Mama left the nest before it was totally ready. It could maybe have even hatched after she left.

I suggest trying to get it some high energy food. Sugar water or maybe that hummingbird syrup would work. Be careful not to force liquid down its throat and drown it, but mybe use a medicine dropper to put a drop or two in the tip of its beak. The idea is to get its energy up to where it feels like eating and drinking on its own.

Good luck! This could be a rough situation or you may feel real good when it is over. I really hope it is the feel good.

5. troop

troop Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    Hi and thank you so much for advice [​IMG]
    I have brought the little mite in he is nice and cosy and when he is not sleeping he is really quite perky and cheeping away. I have made a kind of sugar/salt water (as advised) and he is taking this down quite happily im just using a tiny eyeliner brush and dipping it in the water then brushing it along his beak. He looks fine and totally normal other than being smaller and his legs falling out behind him. If i hold him he can move legs to standing point but just doesnt seem to have the strength to stand. He is also keeping his eyes closed for most of the time but when open they are bright and dark.

6. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
  7. troop

troop Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    Thanks i have just fashioned him a kind of chair using a cut down plastic cup and some cotton wool type bandaging which i have put his little legs through so they hang down a bit and he is cushioned by more padding. He is now cheeping a bit every so often when he wants water or seemingly a cuddle. Bless the poor thing i made another observation one leg is normal but weak the other is held out backwards if allowed so if i put it in place its ok but if he kicks back with it he cant move it forwards himself?? Does that make sense could e have slipped something?? Would his leg be swelled if this was the case?? Im new to chick disabilities and although i realise he may not make it i want to give him the benefit of the doubt and a good a chance as possible. [​IMG]

8. troop

troop Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    Hi peeps im afraid bad news the little guy didnt make it [​IMG] the others are doing well although one had a pasty butt this afternoon so i was busy cleaning it up. Made a heck of a racket until i put the hairdryer on it then it looked all happy and settled down. Fingers crossed no more casualties. Thank you for the advice to x

9. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    So sorry to hear this. [​IMG]

Sounds like you were doing all the right things.
    [​IMG] Don't be a stranger.

10. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    sorry for your loss....... pasty butt, wash with warm water and cotton bud, then a little dab of olive oil ontheir butts really helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by