Please help, chick with a suspected slipped tendon

Random0524

Chirping
Oct 4, 2017
Hi I recently hatched a batch of chicken eggs for a high school biology project last week. The first two babies began hatching Monday and the last baby to hatch was Wednesday morning around 4am. I noticed the last chick to hatch was having a harder time walking around and so when I researched this I thought it was a splayed leg so I put her in a homemade leg brace to try and fix it but after four days it still hadn't resolved. Yesterday morning I saw she had developed a sore that was quite angry looking and so I squeezed all the gunk out and disinfected it but there was no reason or way she could've gotten a cut that far up on her joint unless she had been walking on the joint. So I think she has a slipped tendon. It's been almost a week now and she's very stunted in growth so is there any hope for fixing her leg?

Generally, the sooner a leg problem - whether splay leg or potential slipped tendon - is addressed, the greater the chances for a good outcome. That said, if it were my chick, I would certainly try treating it.

This article has a lot of helpful info, including what can be done if the tendon can't be fixed (see third paragraph). If you're not already, I'd offer a vitamin supplement and ensure that she is able to get to her food - other chicks could be preventing her from eating adequately, she may need to be fed separately.

Best of luck!
oh yes I'll definitely take a look at the article to do my best to help her leg!! I have her separated from the other babies when I'm at work so her sore doesn't get dirty and then when I get back home she's either in my shirt with me or on my lap on a heat blanket. she gets food every two hours when I get home and I leave food and water with her in her container when I'm not home. other than the fact that she's hobbling around she's full of energy and has some attitude 😆

Generally, the sooner a leg problem - whether splay leg or potential slipped tendon - is addressed, the greater the chances for a good outcome. That said, if it were my chick, I would certainly try treating it.

This article has a lot of helpful info, including what can be done if the tendon can't be fixed (see third paragraph). If you're not already, I'd offer a vitamin supplement and ensure that she is able to get to her food - other chicks could be preventing her from eating adequately, she may need to be fed separately.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom