1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help! Chick with bloody gash

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buckabucka, May 19, 2011.

1. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    We have a broody raising one chick, - now 7 days old. The broody was separated from the other hens in a corner of the coop, but she and baby chick broke out of their enclosure a couple of days ago and the hen has been taking her baby around inside and out.

This afternoon, a leghorn attacked the chick, leaving a bloody gash. I'm not sure how deep it is. We had to chase down the broody and her chick (unfortunately stressing them further) and we put them in a cage with food and water. The broody was excited about the bit of scrambled egg in there, calling the chick, but the chick did not come out from under her. I'm sure the chick must be in shock, although it was at least still alive just moments ago.

All of this happened in the last 10 minutes. The chick is very frightened of us, but is there something I should clean the wound with, or apply to it? I have no idea what to do next. I'm really hoping the chick will survive. I appreciate any advice!

2. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Just adding on here: I have some triple antibiotic ointment with pain relief. I know I read on here that medicines ending in "caine" are bad.
    This has polymycin B sulfate, bactracin zinc, neomycin sulfate, and for pain: pramoxine HCL.

Does anyone know if I can use something like this? Is it better to leave the chick alone for a while, as to not stress it any more than it is already?

3. gameboygal12

gameboygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    I would clean it out with rubbing alcohol first, Then apply antibiotic ointment (neosporin) with NO pain relief.

4. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Uh, I Would NOT use rubbing alcohol!

I say let the baby stay with mama for right now, it's had enough shock. Unless it's losing copious amounts of blood, of course.
    Once it gets a little more steady on it's feet and comes out for snacks and water, take a good look at just how deep the gash is. Do you know where on the chick's body the gash actually is? At that point, I'd wipe off the dried blood with a warm rag and trim any feathers that lay in the wound. I swear by a product called vetricyn but it's expensive and a little harder to find, but a neosporin like cream without the pain relief (I've read on this board that it's toxic to chickens) might be in order.

Best of luck!

5. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I meant to add that I know you are freaking out right now, I would be too, but unless it seems like it's losing so much blood that only heroic measures can stop it, I'd let the situation calm down some. Infection will be the biggest worry and that doesn't set in right away!

6. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Thank you so much for the replies. I will let things calm down until tomorrow. I do not have any neosporin without pain relief right now, and no, there did not seem to be a lot of blood loss.

I have not seen the chick since the event, although I did hear her peeping once. Mama hen and chick are now in our entryway, away from the flock, with food and water. The wound is on the chick's chest.

I can pick up some regular neosporin tomorrow after work and have a closer look at the wound. I really want this chick to make it, since it is the broody's only baby. Not sure if I can find vetricyn around here, but I'll do a little research.
    Thank you again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by