1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please Help! Chick With Splayed Leg!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bemba, Sep 5, 2010.

1. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Hi guys, I have just hatched out a lot of sebright chicks, they all are healthy and alert, but one chick has a splayed leg, it wasn't like that when it hatched, and it just sticks right out to the side, if there is anthing that can be done to straighten the leg please help, I really don't want to put him down, as he is very bright and alert, it's so strange .... what happened?? Anything at all, I really don't know what to do.

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Take a bandaide and apply it to his legs so that the pad is the spacer between the legs and the sticky ends are wrapped around each leg. Leave it in place for 3-4 days or more. Be sure they are on a non-slip surface such as towels or paper towels, but no newspaper.

3. bemba

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Thanks heaps for the tip! I just did it then, he is not happy tho LOL wil he get used to it? or will he carry on the whole time? Poor little thing, only 2 days old. Does it usually correct the leg?

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    How To Treat SPLAYED LEG

What is Splayed Leg?

Splayed leg (somtimes called spraddle leg) is where your chick's legs spread out as if they were doing the splits.

Splayed leg is easily fixed if treated as soon as possible.

What Causes Splayed leg?

Being on a slippery surface.

For the first week of your chick's life the bedding should be somthing like papertowles. As paper towels have a grip. If you use newspaper or paper There is a big chance your chicks could get splayed leg because newspaper and regular paper is very very slippery and makes it hard for a newborn chick to stand.

Things you will need to treat Splayed legs:

1.) 1 band-aid

2.) You MAY need somone to help you hold the chick.

Treating Splayed Legs:

First Take the band-aid and cut it in half (longways)

Next take one half of the band-aid you just cut and wrap the ends of it around your chick's ankles. Leaving the soft middle part of the band-aid as a spacer. (The soft part of the band-aid should be between the chick's legs)

[​IMG]
    Sorry the picture above is sorta blurry. But it shows how I have the band-aid on the chick's feet.

It is very important that you put the band-aid around the chick's ANKLES. If you put it higher up then it will just pull that part of the legs together and leave the feet still spreading out. Make SURE that after you treat your chick that you have about an hour to spend with him/her. They can actually kill themselves by tumbling and rolling.

Leave it like this for 5 days, and then remove the band-aid. If the chick still can't stand try again and repeat all the same steps. Somtimes it takes a few trys to get the chick walking but don't give up!

5. bemba

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Thanks for that guys, thought I was going to have to put him/her down, he is getting used to it LOL poor little bugger! eating and drinking now, still the occasional freak out...... eats for a bit then tries to jump and run with the other chicks, when he falls over he screams and pecks at the bandaid, but he will be better off in the long run [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by