Please help! Chicken and turkey exhibiting strange behaviors

LadyofTheMisfitFlock

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2018
Hi guys!

So I am new on this site and new to chickens and turkeys. We recently got a flock of 7 chickens, a duck that was raised with chickens, and a young turkey. Everyone has been healthy and survived winter great but in the last couple weeks one of our older hens starting becoming lethargic, puffed up feathers, and coughing/sneezing. We did a health check on the flocked and dusted them for mites and lice. The coop has been cleaned and disinfected.

She improved but has still been puffed up since the cleaning. She had a poopy vent so I gave her a bath and soaked her in warm water for about 10 minutes. She wasn’t laying for awhile and now she is dropping eggs in random places in the run or coop. Not in a nesting box. She is eating and drinking but today I went out to see her and she was breathing very loudly (gurgling sounds)

Our turkey started exhibiting symptoms last week by pulling his head into his shoulders, puffing his feathers, and shaking his head. He also is still eating and drinking. He will chirp but not as much as he used to. We have wormed the flock with Valbazen and ACV is in their water.

Please help!

It sounds like you have a respiratory disease beginning to target chickens in your flock. These CRDs are extremely contagious and you are to assume all your chickens have been exposed. A CRD will take up residence in the cells of the chickens and can then cause symptoms in chickens with less than optimum immune systems or that are exposed to stress.

Even though the entire flock may be carrying the disease, you will be treating only the chickens exhibiting symptoms. Tylan 50 is a good broad spectrum antibiotic for treating respiratory symptoms. Most feed stores carry it.

For chickens in acute respiratory distress, a vaporizer with peppermint oil can help make breathing easier as they are being treated. In addition, very sick birds benefit from extra heat as they usually aren't eating enough to keep their body heat stoked.

Well this morning I went out to let the flock out and Tormund was still acting strange. I have uploaded a video. Any help would be grateful.

does anyone of them show these symptoms? Depression. Inappetance. Poor growth. Sulphur-yellow diarrhoea. Cyanosis of head. Blood in faeces (chickens). Progressive depression and emaciation

He has been with us since last November and has been fine up until now. No yellow poops or blood in poops. One of my other chickens has some breathing problems too. Here is her recent video:

she is much worse than Tormund but no one else is showing any symptoms.

Hi guys!

So I am new on this site and new to chickens and turkeys. We recently got a flock of 7 chickens, a duck that was raised with chickens, and a young turkey. Everyone has been healthy and survived winter great but in the last couple weeks one of our older hens starting becoming lethargic, puffed up feathers, and coughing/sneezing. We did a health check on the flocked and dusted them for mites and lice. The coop has been cleaned and disinfected.

She improved but has still been puffed up since the cleaning. She had a poopy vent so I gave her a bath and soaked her in warm water for about 10 minutes. She wasn’t laying for awhile and now she is dropping eggs in random places in the run or coop. Not in a nesting box. She is eating and drinking but today I went out to see her and she was breathing very loudly (gurgling sounds)

Our turkey started exhibiting symptoms last week by pulling his head into his shoulders, puffing his feathers, and shaking his head. He also is still eating and drinking. He will chirp but not as much as he used to. We have wormed the flock with Valbazen and ACV is in their water.

Please help!

Back
Top Bottom