PLEASE HELP! Chicken ATTACKED, won't respond

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Picklesquidly, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Picklesquidly

Picklesquidly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2015
    Flower Mound, Texas
    I went outside this afternoon and found a pile of feathers; i was sure that my chicken was gone until i found her behind my pond

shes got a bad cut on the side of her face, on her wattle, and shes slumped over. She isnt opening her eyes at all, and all shes doing is slowly opening and closing her beak
    I have her indoors now in a cage with a towel draped over it to make it dark

I put some water in the cage, but she isnt doing much

I have no idea what to do, please help??

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Show a picture of her wounds.

3. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:x2

4. Picklesquidly

Apr 19, 2015
    Flower Mound, Texas
    [​IMG]

im sorry its hard to tell, theres a laceration on the flesh right by where the feathers start on her head
    its kind of small

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    That looks like a puncture that an owl or hawk does to damage nervous system of victim. Inner ear may be damaged as well. Their not a whole lot I would be able to do other than wait it out hoping bird will heal. If bird will survive, then at least partial recovery should be evident within 24 hours. I doubt bird will benefit from fluids or food during that time frame. What might be advantageous is controlling swelling. A vet would be a better person to talk to. What likely happened is the raptor attempted to cause a cervical dislocation by forcing the hooked part of the beak in their. Falcons (not perp in this case) do that type of thing all the time as a rapid way to kill a victim.

6. Picklesquidly

Apr 19, 2015
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Thank you for the in-depth info
    I don't know of any vets that could take care of a chicken in my area, but ill look around

what im worried about is that the temperature is in the 90's today, and I think she was laying outside for at least an hour or two, though in the shade
    could that be detrimental?

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    In the shade no problem. What look with heatstroke is head and neck swells turning purple immediately before death.

8. Picklesquidly

Apr 19, 2015
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Ah okay; we'll ill keep an eye on her for a while. I'll let you guys know if anything happens. Thank you so much for the advice!

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Welcome, I hope all improves.

10. Picklesquidly

Apr 19, 2015
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Well.... she laid an egg? A normal one, I don't see anything wrong with it. But she's still not opening her eyes, and keeps making this odd motion with her head, kinda like shes repeatedly nodding to the side

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by