Please Help: Chicken diarrhea w/bad odor

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickpuffs, Nov 26, 2010.

1. chickpuffs

chickpuffs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2010
    Hello. I would like to request help from others experienced in this areas, please.
    I have 2 bantams: one Cochin, 1 American Game. They have had diarrhea for over 2 weeks now.

The bad odor is what makes their diarrhea most noticable- the consistency is actually normal looking- between that of mustard and peanut butter, sticky looking.
    The color is a yellowish brown, like a dark yellow-ochre [for painters out there].

Their food has not changed, and temperature differences do not produce a change in their condition. We live in Western Montana.
    I try to keep their waterer clean, ocassionally I notice a bit of algea or feces and I. clean it right away. I often add a little bit of apple cider vinegar to their water.

I am considering giving them plain yogurt or taking them to the vet.
    Please write if this is something that sounds quite familiar to you. I appreciate your advice. Thank you!

2. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    are the chickens acting normal or do the seem listless at all?

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Two weeks of diarrhea doesnt sound right. Try giving them plain yogurt or buttermilk mixed with scrambled egg, hopefully this will get their gut flora back in line. Their waterers should be sanitized and provided fresh clean water daily. Algae is toxic to chickens, poop in waterers is unacceptable and can carry disease, elevate your waterers. Here's the infamous poop chart. http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Check out that chart dawg provided. Could it be that you're seeing caecal poop? Did i spell that right?

5. chickpuffs

chickpuffs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2010
    Thank you for your responses.
    I had already looked up the poop poster on a BYC blog, didn't find anything definitive.
    I think the waterer may be the problem- I bought a plastic pet waterer- the kind made for cats and dogs. It is elevated, to keep it from getting dirty. I fill it about every week, and rinse it out. Once in a while I wash it in the dishwasher or by hand with hot water. I've noticed a bit of algae on it a few times- I didn't know that it was so dangerous to chickens.
    I will go ahead and give them natural yogurt.
    I would appreciate some good tips on the waterer situation.
    Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by