Please Help...chicken has fll crop, getting skinny

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kimber_11, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Kimber_11

Kimber_11 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    This started last week. We purged her crop, kept her isolated, gave her yogurt, cider vinegar and apple sauce. She was doing much better two day later, still no solid BM.
    I put her back because she was eating and scratching around. Today she has a full crop again, not eating, just laying in the shade. We tried to give purge her again
    no avail. Nothing comes out. Gave her olive oil and massaged her crop. It is fluid or soft to the touch. Feels like a water balloon...maybe a little harder.

She is getting skinny, should I go to the feed store and get a generic antibiotic?

Thank you in advance for your help. Our other chickens are doing well, I would think if there was an illness, they to would be sick.

Thinking it might be a blockage past the crop??

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    Sounds like sour crop. Everything you've been doing is exactly what I would suggest. Go ahead and put her back on the yogurt and apple cider vinegar, apple sauce and maybe some hard boiled eggs for protein (if she's getting skinny she needs it).

Her crop is getting full like that when she goes back to eating the regular stuff because the bacteria are all messed up and she can't break down what she's eating like she should. What you were originally doing was helping her so I would go back to that and if it doesn't seem like she's making any progress after several days you can consider giving her an anti-biotic just to make sure but it doesn't sound like she's sick to me. if chicken anti-biotics are anything like human anti-biotics giving them to her could mess up her digestive bacteria even worse.

3. Papa Rooster

Papa Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2010
    i read somewhere where people did surgery on the crap themselves. they mad a thin cut at the crop and picked all the stuff out then used super glue as stitches. after that i dont know if it fixed it or was a temp. thing

4. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    crop surgery is for an impacted crop, like if the chicken ate a bunch of hay and couldn't digest it. if the chicken has an impacted crop you would know because it would be hard not squishy like sour crop

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  5. Papa Rooster

Papa Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2010
    oh my bad

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by