PLEASE HELP! Chicken is bleeding from all its back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joseandchocolat, Apr 13, 2017.

1. joseandchocolat

joseandchocolat Just Hatched

Mar 16, 2017
    [​IMG]

I have 19 chickens. I already seperated 5 large white ones because they're constantly loosing their feathers near their vent and the chickens do not stop pecking them. It was just minor bleeding and nothing major. (Note these chickens are probably just a month old or around there)

I let my chickens out of the coop to free roam and I see this chicken who isn't the smallest or the biggest, she's medium and she's bleeding terribly from behind. The chickens who seem related to her in a manner have a lot of feathers around back there hanging out, and they decided to peck all of them out.

I seperated her. What do I do with the blood? Do I wash it off and apply something or let nature do its thing?

2. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

I think you should clean it, to make sure it does not get infected. Not sure what to put on it. I think you should keep her seperated, but keep her in view of the other chickens, and keep it like that until it looks like they re used to her. Also, maybe wait until the feathers grow back so bare skin is not a temptation. Chickens are NOT vegetarians, so just hope they haven't gotten a taste for blood.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  3. joseandchocolat

Mar 16, 2017
    Thank you!! I'll maybe apply triple antibiotics

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would wash the blood off and apply antibiotic ointment. It is likely that the chick had new feathers growing on its tail, one/several of the feathers broke due to being pecked or scratched and got bloody, and then the other chicks pecked at the bloody spot.

5. joseandchocolat

Mar 16, 2017
    Do you think the feathers will regrow?

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, as long as they don't continue getting picked out.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Don't have her outside if it is warm enough for flies, they will lay eggs in her wound and the resulting maggots will be much worse than her initial wound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by