1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help, chicken with bad leg, desperate for advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FloppyComb, Jan 4, 2013.

1. FloppyComb

FloppyComb New Egg

Jan 4, 2013
    I have a 6 month old girl that we hatched at our house and in the last two days her one leg has gone lame. I have been reading everything i can to try to figure out the problem but I can't tell if she has a broken leg, a lame leg or the dreaded mareks. My chickens have always been healthy with no problems other then a few have gone egg bound, but nothing major. This particular girl has never had issues. Just three days ago she's was out playing in the snow and flying around. Then yesterday I got a text at work that she couldn't stand and she was favoring one leg. This morning I found her with one leg stretched straight out in front of her and she couldn't bare weight on it. She is completely healthy other wise, her wings both work, her eyes are healthy and she has no lesions anywhere. I'm hoping she just hurt her leg playing in the snow and she will recover but does anyone know how I can rule out mareks? After researching I have thoroughly freaked myself out that my whole flock of girls is going to die of mareks. Please if anyone could help it would mean the world to me, I love these girls like my children and I couldn't bare losing all of them. I will post videos or pictures or anything that is needed. Please someone help me. Right now I have her separated in a little pen and she is eating and drinking a lot because I think the others have been stealing all the food. She seems completely fine except that leg. Please if you can help, I am desperate. Thank you so much

2. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    I tend to take the approach of ruling out Marek's, simply because there's no treatment for it. Look into the issues that might explain the leg problem in other ways ... see this page (that'll keep you busy enough to not worry about the more dreaded diseases for right now ~'-)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by