PLEASE HELP! Chicken with frost bite on legs

kris1990

Chirping
Jul 3, 2015
Hey,guys! I need an advice. I' from TN and we had some very severe weather last month. Wasn't really snowing but temperatures went very low. Two of our chicken(a hen and a rooster) got severe frost bite on their legs. The rooster is a little better but the hen is concerning me. She's very skinny ,even tho she eats a lot and drinks a lot of water. We gave her a dewormer but she's still very skinny. She can walk,but today evening my husband found her outside their kennel laying on the ground on her side. Any suggestions of what we can do to make her gain some weight?

Can you post any pictures of the legs and feet? When trying to get sick chickens to eat, some things they usually like are wet chicken feed, chopped cooked egg, rinsed tuna, beef liver or chopped meat. A poultry vitamin or 1/2 vitamin B complex tablet crushed into food may help. With frostbite on fett, sometimes a daily warm soak in Epsom salts or water treated with betadine or chlorhexidene can hlep to prevent infection. Dry thoroughly, and apply some plain neosporin on affected areas.

H
Can you post any pictures of the legs and feet? When trying to get sick chickens to eat, some things they usually like are wet chicken feed, chopped cooked egg, rinsed tuna, beef liver or chopped meat. A poultry vitamin or 1/2 vitamin B complex tablet crushed into food may help. With frostbite on fett, sometimes a daily warm soak in Epsom salts or water treated with betadine or chlorhexidene can hlep to prevent infection. Dry thoroughly, and apply some plain neosporin on affected areas.

Her toes are dried out now to where they will fall out. I thought I had some pictures but I don't. I'll take some when I get back home.

Please give us an update when you can. Hopefully you canget her to keep her weight up. Frostbite is painful, but she may have a good chance to live a long life. Whenever they get their feet wet in freezing weather, this can can happen. I always make sure when I fill up waterers in the evening, to precent spills.

Back
Top Bottom