Please help!!!! Chickens with bare patch on their neck almost directly under wattles and near-ish to

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BarnChickyOO, Dec 13, 2013.

1. BarnChickyOO

BarnChickyOO Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    Proudly Born in the USA
    I have 20 adult chickens (not including chicks) and they live in an old 15 by 23 (aprx) ft farm shed.

Yesterday, I noticed that some of their combs were getting frostbite, since it was 7 degrees, and gave them all a good dose of petroleum jelly. They are still pullets, although they are laying, and will be a year old in March. They did not molt this year.

When I picked some of them up, I noticed that about 7 or 8 of them have a bare patch of gnarly skin almost directly under their wattles and above their crop on their neck. What could this possibly be?

This cold northern whether has certainly worn them out....

please please please help if you can!

2. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Pics are always a great help but what comes to mind if not molting is mice, lice or picking. Check all over especially under wings and around vent for lice or mites. Provide an area and materials for dust bathing. Check for evidence of mice that may be taste testing chicken nuggets! Sounds weird but mice will do it. If your chickens don't venture out much in the cold or are "cooped" up for safety they could get bored and pick. There are a lot of great ideas on here for beating chicken boredom in winter. I hope this helps until someone else can give a better answer:) (might want to make sure there's good ventilation too for the frostbite- great job getting the petroleum jelly done!)

3. BarnChickyOO

Oct 29, 2013
    Proudly Born in the USA
    Yeah, I thought it might be lice too, and gave the coop area and roosts a light dusting of garden and poultry dust....

I will look them over again. Thanks for your input.

Are you saying that you think the mice might be gnawing at their feathers???

I don't know if it would be "picking"... I don't think they would all be missing feathers in the same exact spot from that. I have a grain block in their to keep them occupied. It is so darn cold, and the snow is a bit to deep for them to walk in at a good pace, lol.

About the frostbite, a few of my girls have a whole "tine" blackened. Do you think this will fall off? I had one that I was planning on taking to fair in the summer, but if a piece of her comb falls of.......

I'm not very computer savvy, so I will still have to learn how to load pictures.

thanks

4. Cknldy

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    If it is frostbite on the spike then you can still use the triple antibiotic ointment to keep it from getting infected as it heals. The black area will eventually turn colors as new healthy cells grow back if it wasn't too bad. Shouldn't be able to notice a difference in a few months unless it damaged too deeply. I've never had any that got frostbite beyond a bit of the tips so I can't really say on the deeply affected stuff. It has been a few days- have you noticed an improvement with the bare patches?

5. BarnChickyOO

Oct 29, 2013
    Proudly Born in the USA
    No, I have not. :(

They are just "tractor store" chickens, and a friend of mine mentioned that perhaps they have long lost naked neck genetics.

Any thoughts on this???

Thanks/

6. Cknldy

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Turkens (or naked necks) are hatched without feathers on the neck. They don't start out with feathers and then fall out so I think your friend was ribbing you a bit;-) Your chickens could just be bored. Sounds like you've done the preliminary stuff so just keep an eye on them until something else shows up or pin feathers come in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by