Please Help! Chicks only pipped one hole for 11 hours.

savannahRoos22

Songster
Oct 13, 2017
HELLO! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Since 7pm yesterday to 9am today, they still only have one pip! (tiny hole opened in the shell)
I have 3 eggs I was certain are still alive and now I don't know! Should I be worried? Do they take a 10 hour break after making the first pip?

All my other 20 have died because of a temperature issue and for these ones I am soooo so so so hopeful.

I checked the newly pipped 3 at 9pm yesterday, 2am, 3am today, 4,am, 6am and then at 8am. I get too worried at night and cant sleep, so I know its rediculous, but I hope you can see how much they matter to me. No movement. No more breakage of the egg. They could be stuck or run out of oxygen. Right? I wont open, dont worry, I just want to know if there's something wrong!

Last edited:
It can take over 24 hours from pip for a chick to start the zipping process. It's a lot of hard work getting into position and making that first pip. The chick then needs to rest, and the blood vessels and yolk need to completely absorb. Only then will the hatching process proceed. The fact that they are hatching a few days late indicates that your incubation temps may have been a bit too low.

Yes they were too low. Thank you all for the replies and help. I really really appreciate it. Wish me luck, and thank you for the information and link.

Back
Top Bottom