Please help!Chicks Too big?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JustDuckyTexas, Apr 24, 2008.

1. JustDuckyTexas

JustDuckyTexas New Egg

Apr 24, 2008
    Hello, I am new to the forum, and completely new to incubating.
    A few days ago I had 5 eggs hatch from the incubator after I took them from a nest the hen had abandoned, so I don't know exactly how many days old they were. Plus, two were Banty eggs I had stuck under her.
    Anyway, they pipped and then nothing for 8 or more hours, so following directions on the forum, I helped them all out. They were crammed in there, with their little heads and beaks under their wings, with their beaks upside down, if this makes sense. There was no way they could have moved around to unzip the shell, as far as I could tell. No
    Now I have a little guy, Banty, who has pipped I think at 20 days, is peeping softly, but mostly just making little breathing noises, and not trying to break out any further. I had the humidity WAY too high, I think at 86% because that was what I first read it should be.
    OK< now my question: Should I help this little guy out, too? I don't think he has room to zip!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Actually, that is the normal hatching position. It looks awkward, I know, but its completely correct. That being said, there are chicks who grow too large for the shell they're in, on occasion, and cannot get out. I've had it happen a few times myself.

3. hiddenmagnolia

hiddenmagnolia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    South Louisiana
    That is the position that the chick is in when they are hatching. Belive it are not they have plenty of room to turn around in egg and peck their way out so my advice is to let the chicks hatch. It can take sometime over 24 hours after the chicks pips (breaks) through the shell.

4. BikerBabeRules

BikerBabeRules Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    and at that point have you intervened Speckledhen? When they are to big and cant' get out...they are fine?

5. JustDuckyTexas

JustDuckyTexas New Egg

Apr 24, 2008
    These eggs now are a x between a Polish Crested Rooster and a tiny Silky and a tiny Frizzle. The rooster is fairly big. Does that make a difference in the size of the chick in the egg?

6. hiddenmagnolia

hiddenmagnolia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Most of the time the chick will only develop to the size of the egg. If he is too big for the egg then he will stop developing and die before hatch time. It is best to just wait and not interfere with the hatch. Most of the time you do more harm than good when you intervene.

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    The chicks are probably large because your humodity was too high.
    I agree with the previous poster-"helping" is a bad idea. A healthy chick will hatch. Period.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, I also do not help because often they can pip early and even if it looks tight in there.. it's probably not.

If to help I like to say at least day 22 or 24 hours after pipping as they are tired and need to rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by