Please help! Cloudy has white foam coming from her eye!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickLover98, Jul 7, 2012.

1. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Cloudy had white foamy stuff coming out of the corner of her eye. I whiped it off with a paper towel but its still coming out. I think it might be due to this intense 105 degree heat because everyone is panting and were doing our best to keep them cool with yogurt, cool water and shade in the coops. Has anyone heard of this before?

2. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Its been about 15 minutes since I whiped it off and its back again. She's acting normal and eating and drinking (I just put ice in all their waterers and in some bowls). I feel so bad I don't know what to do...

3. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    I have some books so i'll try to look it up for you
    and I posted a pic of my cloudy on your photo editing thread

4. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Ok, thanks so much! I will go see your Cloudy's picture:)

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You need to post that photo here. I don't want to go search for it on another thread unless you can link to it.

Could be a bacterial sinusitis. That can present as foam in the eye. This time of year, fungal infections happen and often, secondary bacterial sinus infections can occur, per our state vet. Had that situation myself last summer with one hen.

If you have separated her out from the others and no one else is showing symptoms, I'd go with the sinusitis guess and dose with Tylan injected into the breast muscle for about 5-7 days, 1/2 cc per day.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  6. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I don't have a picture of my Cloudy. Its a picture of his chick, Cloudy. She's the only one showing symptoms and other than the eye thing, she's acting normal. The only other thing that's wrong with anyone else, is Shadow wheezing a little bit from the heat.

7. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Sorry if the whole picture thing was confusing... the Cloudy that belongs to him is ok, its mt Cloudy that is having issues.

8. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
  9. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I agree, but she laid an egg today. I wonder if Shadow's wheezing is also a sympton... I really hope it's something I can fix, and should I pull the eggs? Are they unsafe for human consumption?

10. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Here is a picture of her eye, right after she shook some of it off. (Sorry for bad picture quality, she wouldn't stay still). I whiped it off about half an hour ago, and it comes back.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by