Please help. Cocci or worms? Which meds? *Blood Poo Pics WARNING*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by haemony, Jul 28, 2011.

1. haemony

haemony Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2011
    WV
    I have sick birds. I am confused about what is wrong and which medication to give. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    There are 6 birds. They are 12 weeks old and have been on medicated chick starter and pasture. I give them plain water and
    they also have mashed up hard boiled organic eggs and whatever bugs they find. They have been healthy and happy with no
    problems until yesterday morning. They are not at all overcrowded and I use pine shavings in their hen house and run.

When I checked their house yesterday morning there was blood all over the bedding under the roosts. One of my EEs was
    looking lethargic and ill, not her usual rowdy self and at least two of my birds were having blood and mucous in their poo. I
    went to the feed store and was told they thought it was worms but all they had was piperzine so I gave them a 24 hour
    dose of D-Worm (piperzine) in their water. I also gave them yogurt to settle their tummies which all of them ate except Stevie,
    the very sick EE. She just laid around and occasionally got up and walked around slowly, drank some water and laid back
    down off by herself. She is perching though, which is a good sign yes?

This morning there was even more blood everywhere and now both the EEs are moving very slow and seem ill. Stevie does
    not seem better and now she hiding in the hen house. The rest of the birds are not as peppy as usual. Neither of the EEs ate
    anything. They were drinking water yesterday and did get the worming meds but I am not sure how much. This morning we
    drove all the way out about 40 miles to the large feed store for advice. The woman there did not seem to know what it was
    nor did she ask any questions. She just gave me Neomycin (whoa) and I noticed they had Corid there so I grabbed that too.
    Neomycin seems harsh but not sure if it's cocci. Would worms cause this bloody poo symptom?

I have no idea which meds to give or what they have. I love these chooks and do not want to poison them. Here are pics what
    I found in the hen house. I think at least half of the birds now are pooping like this. Watery projectile mucousy and bloody. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two birds who are ill are the EEs in my user pic when they were babies. They are my favorite birds.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. Daisy668

Daisy668 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    If you serach 'Blood and Poop' in the Emergencies/diseaases/injuries and cures it comes up with a few threads..
    I'm not a expert but sounds like Cocci. Sorry for you and your chicks..
    Hope someone more experienced can step in.
    Daisy.xx

3. Daisy668

Daisy668 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    If its occasionly it can be just when the bird shreads the intestine lining but if they are acting under the weather i would guess at Cocci..
    Daisy. xx

4. haemony

Feb 21, 2011
    WV
    Thanks. I did the searches. Still confused but I've started dosing them with corid just in case it is cocci. It just seems so much like cocci from what I have read. They have already had their full dose of piperzine already. Hope I am doing the right thing. I certainly do not want to give them the harsh antibiotic that the feed store gave me. I have given them corid in water and left out a dish of yogurt because they are not eating their feed. Today's project is to scrub out the hen house. If anyone has opinions or ideas from the pictures, please let me know. I have also read that corid will not harm them even if they do not have cocci. Is this true? I can't give them piperzine again for 7 days and I'm afraid to give them too much because it is a poison and they are small lightweight birds. Praying I do not lose my birds.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Corid is a pretty benign drug. They absorb very little. I don't know for sure that cocci is your problem, either, but Corid is exactly what I would have given in your situation. I also agree with you about the antibiotic. Unless you are reasonably certain that they have an infection that that particular antibiotic would treat, I would not give one. I believe about the only time I'd give one would be for a large infected wound. They are a little young to have enough of a worm load to need worming. If you do have to worm them, Valbazen is relatively easy on them and kills the greatest spectrum of worms. Dawg53 uses only Valbazen or Safeguard for worms, and he certainly knows a lot about it.

Let us know how this turns out, and good luck!

6. haemony

Feb 21, 2011
    WV
    Thank you for the advice about worming. Now I'm glad I gave them such a light dose of the piperzine. They are on the liquid form of Corid now. I put the Corid in their water so that they are all more likely to get dosed. They are all resting in the shade tent in their run which is good because I can lock them out of the hen house and give it a good scrub down. Now it's wait and see time. Thanks so much for all responses.

I have a separate flock up the hill about 100 feet away. So far they show no signs of the illness.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:If you go up the hill to your other flock, wear different shoes, clothes (if you handled sick birds, wash hands too)...you dont want to unintentionally spread whatever it is to your unaffected flock.

8. haemony

Feb 21, 2011
    WV
    Thank you for reminding me. I got two pair of plastic sandals at the dollar store, one for each chicken area. I wear them in those areas and no where else. Trying to be very careful about going between the two flocks. They each have their own pastures and do not range on the same ground so that should help.

9. haemony

Feb 21, 2011
    WV

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  10. haemony

Feb 21, 2011
    WV
    They seem better today. The sickest bird seems weak but improved. I am cautiously optimistic. The second flock is still not sick at all. I haven't lost anyone. So relieved!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by