1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please help cochin rooster bantam

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickster2012, Nov 19, 2013.

1. chickster2012

chickster2012 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    He acts drunk.acts like his feet hurt. Not bumble foot. I pick him up set him down he falls over on his head. Walking with legs spread little. Stumbles a lot.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old? Did he have a Mareks vaccination? Could he have eaten any decayed fish, meat, vegetation, or pond mud that may have caused botulism? Any mosquitoes or poultry ticks around?

3. chickster2012

Jul 7, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    No vaccination of mereks. No mud. Nothing decayed. When he flaps his wings he stumbles. Normally when I pick him up he will relax. Now when picked up he kicks and flaps cannot stand it. Thought of giving him a shot of antibiotics I can't it would take someone to hold him pretty tight to do it. He looks like he is walking a little with his legs spread apart. Eats great drinks water very alert. He will run from me. [​IMG]This is my boy.He is a 18 months old.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I hope you can figure out the illness. Mareks has many different symptoms, tumors that form all over the body, eye problems, skin problems, and problems with balance and paralysis. I have found if you want to give a shot or do anything else to a chicken, you need have the shot ready to go, then catch them on the roost at night wrap them in a towel, and do what you need to do. Here is some info on Mareks from good sites: http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf and http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/502

1 person likes this.
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Eggcessive is probably right, it does sound like Marek's to me to me, too, but that's no reason not to try treating for other diseases. If it is Marek's it will most likely progress into full paralysis, which will make it impossible for him to eat and drink unless food is right in front of him. FWIW, I have two right now that started like your guy, so now they are in a small pen on the lawn with food and water in front of them, so we'll see what happens.

-Kathy

6. chickster2012

Jul 7, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    I got a shot in him today. Also he doesn't crow right it's like he is learning all over again. I've spent the day with him. He's alert keeps up with everyone acts as though nothing is wrong. He just flaps his wings and stumbles looses balance when he jumps up. Gave him vitamins and apple cider vinegar in water and lots of love and special treats that they all like. Said a little for my boy.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does he act like he can't hold up his neck or have any weakness in his upper body? Limberneck or botulism might cause the weak voice. Aspergillosis also can affect the voice and sometimes cause staggering.

8. chickster2012

Jul 7, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    No he is bright eyed bright red wattles. He's normal eating great. He still let's the hens know he's here that funny side step roosters do. I have not seen him loving on them. Just when he steps down off something he kind of staggers. when he flaps his wings he stumbles. When I pick him up and set him back down he staggers and falls over gets back up and tanks him a second to get his balance. I look at him and it almost looks like it is causing him pain. Its like if we hurt our foot or leg and can't put weight on we would stagger a little. I've looked at his leg and have but I can't tell anything. To me it looks like maybe he has hurt himself. Not sure what to do for him. If I could put video on here I could show you. I spent most of the day with all my babies. Watching him close. Tomorrow I'm going to follow him around and see what his poop looks like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by