Please HELP-Coci, Worms, Nothing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SkyeBleu, Sep 15, 2010.

1. SkyeBleu

SkyeBleu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Southern Oregon
    I have a RIR chicken whose a year old. She has been molting for quite awhile. I live in So. Oregon.. Our weather has been crazy, hot one day, cool the next. She's with 30 other mixed chickens. I noticed two days ago she was in a nest box and when I flashed a light on her, her comb was pale compared to the others. She is thin when you pick her up. Her skin where her feathers are gone is yellowish and dry.

From what I read, I thought Coci so I did one day of Sulmet. I know that Corid is better and got some yesterday. I went out to her this morning, her comb is still the same but I have had her in a dog crate on pine litter. I picked up her poop and had two colors. Some was a large thick clump of green poop, noticed more green poop than anything else. The other was brown and runnier but stuck to litter so hard to tell. She is talking, and more active today than she's been.

I have stopped the Sulmet and am waiting to see if I should give her the Corid. Does this sound like Coci? She's thin and not thrifty looking. They were all wormed awhile ago and been waiting for weather to get cooler to worm again. I don't like to worm all the time. I give them ACV in their water, Purina Layena Pellets, Sunfresh scratch, Oyster Shell, and bugs and things from the garden. We do have a mouse problem that we are trying like heck to get rid of.

So any ideas? I have Corid on hand now, I have dusted her for mites, I am feeding her some egg with probotics in it today and am waiting on ideas if I should start the Corid. If I do, is it 1 1/2 tsp. per quart since she's by herself?
    Thank you.

2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Quote:I feel like the bookend to your issue! Same thing here! Gave her Corid for 5 days and mine seems much better and is putting on weight! Also fed her yogurt while she was on the meds.! I would keep her on the Corid for a bit more. Can't hurt!

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    How is she eating? Have you checked her crop? Does she have bad breath?

I definitely don't think this is cocci. It's possible but really unlikely. The fact that she is thin makes me think something has been bothering her for a while. The symptoms you mentioned mostly describe a sick chicken but don't really narrow down which sickness. So i wouldn't jump to any conclusions.

If you do use Corid, the dosage per quart would be a quarter to a half teaspoon.

4. SkyeBleu

Jun 18, 2008
    Southern Oregon
    She's eating but not much. Her crop the night I pulled her from the rest felt empty. Her breath I didn't notice but I can't smell that great. Now we have noticed that the top of her beak is longer than the lower beak? They are not the same length at all. Could this be an issue and if so, do I just file down the longer one? Other question is, would Corid hurt even if not Coci?

Last night she ate some scratch, and some pellets, as well as grass but not much. Today I fed her one large scrambled egg this morning with a sprinkle of pellets, and some probotics sprinkled that I take in an 8 oz. pyrex custard cup so I can judge how much she eats. She went right to it and started eating. She is talking and chirping and eating grass. I have her by herself in a dog crate surrounded by a dog pen. Her comb is still pale... she has like one tail feather left. She may be a in bad molt but if so, has been for 3 months or more. She is thin, you can feel her breast bone.

The key was the pale comb compared to others including my 9 year old chickens. She's been picked on a lot by others but husband has also noticed she pulls her own feathers out on her chest. She's been looking "molty" for months now but has always been active till the last two days. Then she was hanging out in the nest box more.

5. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I would personally not give Corid unless i had a good reason to think that Cocci is the issue. Corid blocks thiamin, which some say won't harm your chicken, but in an already weak chicken, i prefer to add vitamins instead of take them away. I might be wrong about that.

I'm just throwing out ideas here - but if she was hanging out in the nest box, is is possible that she was trying to lay and can't? Have you felt of her abdomen?

6. SkyeBleu

Jun 18, 2008
    Southern Oregon
    Okay, latest update. It's 5:18 PDST here in Oregon. She ate over half her 8 oz. cup of food I gave her. She's been drinking her ACV water and eating grass. We checked her again, still talking, running around once we opened the dog playpen up. I have attached pictures of her, beak which is blurry in one (sorry) and her poop. Most of the poop in the area, her bedding is green. The brownish on the litter to the right was this morning but when I smeared it, it's brown, not bloody or red.

She just turned a year old and has always been a small chicken. Hope the pictures help. Her comb looks darker in the pics compared to her sisters who have bright red combs. So far since yesterday, she hasn't laid any eggs. Her tummy is flat. No eggs felt at all.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blurry picture of beak, shows how much longer one is

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It could also be worms, if you have not wormed her. It could be other things, too, of course. It's kind of a hit and miss thing if vet care is not an option.

It isn't that Corid or Sulmet is a better drug. They treat different strains of cocci. Corid is easier on the chicken but will not kill all strains, nor will Sulmet.

8. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I wouldn't worry about her beak if she is able to eat efficiently. It is however, a good idea to provide a block of cement or large stone - something in the area of the chickens that they can use to "file" their own beaks.

I don't see anything alarming about her poop, but she does look pretty rough. You said that she seems to be active, and you can find no signs of impacted crop or egg laying problems. I would concentrate on just giving her extra nutrition to help her get stronger. That's the best advice i can give with the information i have. I think you're doing all the right things. Egg yolks and vitamins and electrolytes and easily digested food will help her to build up the strength she needs to get past whatever is bothering her. I wish you and her the very best. [​IMG]

9. SkyeBleu

Jun 18, 2008
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks... I think I will keep doing the eggs, some oatmeal, vitamins, and such with the probotics. I may give her some dry cat food too for the extra protein since her feathers are so bad. I do have concrete bricks that their water sits on so they can use that to file beak.

I have a question, can you do vitamins with the ACV in the water or does it cancel each out? Maybe she just needs some rest away from the others.... I did worm a few months ago. I don't like to worm more than a few times a year, I prefer using the ACV. I have Corid and Sulmet if I need to use it. At least with her being separate, I can really judge her poop and if she lays.

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Have you checked her really well for lice and mites???? They might be causing her to pluck her feathers and they will weaken a chicken and take the weight off. When mine had lice the one that had it bad kindof had that same sickly look around his eyes - I presume from scratching at the lice around his head.
    Some get near the vent, but in my case they got the lice right up on the backs of their heads, so check everywhere. I saw more eggs than bugs, so either is a dead giveaway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by