Please help.. Cockerel has really bad swollen eyes and face

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DoraHexplorer, Mar 28, 2015.

1. DoraHexplorer

DoraHexplorer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2014
    My poor Roo is sick and ive been to the vets , we're currently on coxy?? It's a powder for in the water ( I don't have it on me for the correct name) and tylan antibiotics in the water. He's still eating and drinking, im also srynge feeding him the water with his meds in. I don't know what else to do, he's been like this for over a week now and it's not getting better, though he isn't showing signs of depression yet such as taking himself away from the flock and they are all fine. Can anyone help? Don't know what to do, thought maybe someone might have tried something else that works - herbs or ointments?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like you are on the right medicine for a respiratory disease, and the coxy (amprollium) would be for treatment of coccidiosis. The problem with sick birds is that they will not usually drink enough of the medicated water. Also, it sounds like you have 2 medicines at once for the water. Are you mixing them together in one container? I would give the Tylan either as an injection or orally, but you would need the injectable form of Tylan (Tylan 50) or need to give the powder very concentrated, and I don't know the dasage for that. Generally, you want to give about 50 mg daily of Tylan for 3-5 days. What country are you in? Can you get Tylan 50 or Tylan 200?

3. DoraHexplorer

Feb 14, 2014
    Thank you for the reply , yes im Mixing in the same water . I'm in the UK and was told injection wasn't an option for the tylan.

I'll check what dosage he's getting. Will he recover ? Is this life threatening or the same as if we had flu or bad cold? I'm so worried for him.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

How much Amprolium are you putting in a gallon of water?

5. DoraHexplorer

Feb 14, 2014
    The packet says 1 sachet per 2 litres so im following those instructions

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by