1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PLEASE HELP!!! Cold weather, favus, avian flu,or ????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bkruse7404, Dec 3, 2013.

1. bkruse7404

bkruse7404 New Egg

Dec 3, 2013
    I am a first time chicken owner and this is making me nervous because I have 2 little kids and 3 dogs that are around our backyard flock.

My rooster's comb looks dry and white... some of the tips are a purplish-black. His eyes are clear, no congestion, eats fine, acting fine and poop looks normal. He is not crowing more than normal... but normal is often lol

He is about 7 months. His legs are normal and so is his feathers, although some have started to turn a more yellowish-white.

Here is a picture... it was taken in the coop with a flashlight to help!
    [​IMG]

and treatment or advice would be GREAT!!!

Thank you!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC! How cold have your temperatures been? I hate to ask for another picture in the daylight, but it would help to really see the comb and wattles. He looks like he could have either frostbite or favus, especially if the whitish-looking area in the lower middle of the comb is not camera flash. How is the humidity and overhead ventilation in your coop? That, as well as open pans of water where roosters can get their combs wet then freeze, can cause frostbite. Favus is treated with Lotrimin, Tinactin, or Miconozole cream, if you dtermine that he has that. Here are good pictures of favus: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...wattles-overtaken-by-white-growth-please-help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by