Please help confirm my "magical mystery addition"

sunny870

Hatching
Aug 15, 2016
South Australia
Hi everyone this is my "magical mystery addition" that came from my son's dads place. He was my son's pet chicken and is where the mystery story begins.

I was told and from what my son and his dad say it was sold as a Silkie hen/pullet. My son had long wanted some silkies and I believe this was gotten when young (gotten around 6 months ago) along with some "regular" laying hens.

So 7 weeks ago this chook came to our place (well neighbour's until our coop arrived as very unexpected/unplanned addition). Around a week after getting, so once settled our "girl" started to make a crowing type call. Oh dear is she a he nt that it was a major problem as not very loud and not done lots.

Fast forward to yesterday and my suspicion seems confirmed that it is not a Silkie. I had been suss as not the "fluffy" style of Silkies but not being chicken savvy gave the benefit of doubt. Yesterday there was a local poultry sale run by local club so we went along to get more silkies. As it turned out the silkies were late arriving and we instead found a pair of Belgian Bantam hens. We did also end up with a black Silkie hen as arrived just before we left. Seeing all these silkies just reinforced my suspicions.

So having googled puff ball headed chickens (or similar lol) the obvious result was White crested Polish. Having looked at photos and descriptions though I am unsure whether we have a rooster or hen as it seems to have the much poofier/smoother crest of a hen rather than spiky but then seems to crow. Thus I'm asking what people think hen or rooster and am I right thinking a White Crested Black Polish. These are the photos I've managed to take since getting as weather has been not good for photos.

Thanks

PS: I use "magical" since we seem to have possibly changed gender & breed lol

welcome-byc.gif

That's a hen. the sound you're hearing could be what folks call the "egg song".....basically hens get pretty vocal as they reach point of lay. You should be getting eggs pretty darn soon.

Thanks so much everyone. We certainly now have a "United Nations" chookery. Interestingly reading some more I just realised that in last say week she has taken to going into the nesting box of the coop whereas during the first weeks she was always sitting on the roasting bars whenever up in the house part.

Back
Top Bottom