Please help!! Confusing situation...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aflockoffive, Mar 18, 2013.

1. aflockoffive

aflockoffive New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    I have 6 chicks who are about a week old. Two of them started opening their beaks constantly and looking distressed (not sleeping, eating and drinking very little) yesterday morning. We separated them yesterday and one died last night. I was sure they would both die, but the one who looked worse yesterday was peeping this morning and eating her food. She looks "normal" today except for slightly rapid breathing and frequent sneezing (?) poop is normal. I do have another chick with diarrhea so I'm treating them all with corid starting today just to be safe. But what to do for the sneezing chick?? Could it be respitory? Should I give her antibiotics? I've been giving her yogurt in addition to her food and water. Thank you!!

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    My chicks are sneezy too..I'm not planning on doing anything about it. I assume it is because of the dust from the shavings and what not...I think they are sneezing to clear their little noses out. Nobody at my place seems sick...everyone is jumping, flying, peeping, playing, wating and drinking, so I'm going to let them be sneezy. They've been sneezy since the 6th, so I figure their alright to just keep on sneezing.

3. aflockoffive

aflockoffive New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    If she was just sneezing I wouldn't worry, but she is breathing rapidly & my other chick with similar symptoms died :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by