PLEASE HELP - couple of questions about scaly leg mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ourlittleflock, Sep 15, 2010.

1. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

short story - we went to a local poultry auction last night and they had a pair of mille fleurs and of course I HAD TO have them.. brought them home - placed them in their pen by themselves and once I was looking over them I noticed the ugly looking feet.. First thing came straight to BYC and figured out they had scaly leg mites.. First thing this morning - I dusted them with De- placed DE everywhere in their stall and dropped their feet into vegetable oil and with a soft tooth brush scrubbed the feet with the oil.. I also bought some vasoline <sp> not sure how that is going to work with their big booties (feather feet)

they looked healthy - no lice I think they just have the scaly leg mites..

questions
    1) I will post the pic of the coop = I want to make sure no one else get it. Are they quarantined enough?

2) I have the below coming - I need to worm and treat them, along with may other chicken - What dosage should I use? (I have all bantams - cochins, silkies, oegb, seramas)

Ivomec Powder (Ivermectin)
    Ivermectin 0.02% For the treatment and control of gastrointestinal roundworms, kidneyworms, lungworms, threadworms, lice and mange mites. Pre-Mix Labeled for swine. 12 Oz. pwd. to mix with feed. Contains 1,000 mcg per normal teaspoon or 6,000 mcg per ounce.

3) I am also planning on spreading DE out everywhere in the coop and run today. Is this fine?

any other tips would be greatly appreciated

here is the pic of the coop so you can see how they are living... they have the end stall to themselves
    [​IMG]

2. ourlittleflock

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    To get rid of scaly leg mites, you want to coat their legs in something viscous, like mineral oil, or vaseline (vegetable oil will work in a pinch) every day for 2 weeks. This will suffocate the mites and kill them. DE won't work, as they are burrowed under the leg scales. You can add ivermectin to the oil, but you don't have to for this to work. As far as quarantine, no, that isn't seperated enough. If they have a respiratory illness that they are incubating, or carrying, they have already exposed your other birds. Quarantine means just that...NO contact, direct, or indirect, with your other birds...when I have to quarantine something, they are on the other side of my property, with the house in between, and I feed and water my birds first, then I do the new birds, so there's no cross-contamination. As far as the Ivermectin, I don't use that particular product, so I can't answer that, but if you do a search for Ivermectin dose on here, you'll find it. [​IMG]

4. ourlittleflock

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    thanks anyone else

5. ourlittleflock

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ok - I have moved them completely away for the flock - they were in the coop area (see above pic) for a max of 7 hours - hopefully [​IMG] nothing was airborned

I will clean their stall out this afternoon - ridding of water, food and straw - Do I need to do anything more for them (besides treating their feet) or anything for the rest my est. flock, since they were out there

they need to be quarantined for 4 weeks? right

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2010
  6. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Yep, 30 day minimum. I would spray all the wood surfaces with a 10% dilute bleach solution, and anything that can sit in direct sunlight should. As far as the rest of your flock goes, just watch them closely for anything out of the ordinary...and [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. ourlittleflock

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    thanks

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

We went through that with a little d'uccle rooster my husband picked up about two months ago. We dosed him with Ivermec (the oral paste kind though), and treated his feet every two days for about a week and a half. Our treatments consisted of soaking his feet in warm water/epsom salts, lightly "scrubbing" his feet with a soft bristle tooth brush, and then after drying his feet off, coating his feet with vaseline, working it over his feet and feathers, in between his toes, etc. His poor feet were NASTY when we got him (he was missing parts of two toes, but that could have been from frostbite?)...lumpy, crusty, scales sticking out that looked like warts... Within 10 days his feet were smooth, the warty looking scales were gone, they looked "normal" (well...except for the missing toe parts...lol). I've inspected his feet weekly since, and they still look good.
    I hope your new birds fare as well! [​IMG] Stay on it and it will clear up!

ETA: He also had lice, so I used Adams Flea and Tick spray on him. So in hindsight, I'm not sure whether that would have helped to clear up the leg mites or not...????

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  9. ourlittleflock

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:Awesome information teach1rusl
    many many thanks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by