1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please Help! Cracked Egg! ~Pics~

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwinsLoveChicks, May 28, 2016.

1. TwinsLoveChicks

TwinsLoveChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    This afternoon when I went to check on my broody and her chicks, I found her dust-bathing in her nest of eggs. Thankfully no chicks were hurt, but one of the eggs is cracked pretty badly. I don't know if it's still alive, but I have it under a heat lamp. I don't have any way of adding humidity, though. I think it's around two to three weeks old. Here's a picture.

[​IMG]

Thank you in advance!

2. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Nutty Pigeons Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Looks like just the shell was cracked (not the membrane) so there is a chance it could survive. You could put some damp paper towels around it for humidity, also do you have a thermometer? Temp should be around 99 degrees, slightly cooler is better than hotter, try to keep it at least under 103 degrees.

3. TwinsLoveChicks

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    Thank you for answering! I'll put some towels around it. Unfortunately I don't have a thermometer. Is there any other way to regulate it's temperature?

4. two j farm

two j farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    You could put some wax on it and put it back under her

5. TwinsLoveChicks

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    I had thought of doing that, but I'm worried that she'll peck at the wax.

6. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Nutty Pigeons Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Any updates?

To test temp you could touch the egg to the corner of your eye (it's very temperature sensitive there) and feel if it feels about body temp. Sorry I didn't see the last few posts til now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by