Please..Help! Cramps/ Tight Muscles

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by rodriguezpoultry, Nov 1, 2009.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I need some help. Since going back to work after the flu (where let's face it...I laid down ALL day) I am hurting.

My calves are so tight I can hardly get in and out of the shower. I can lift my legs maybe 6" from the floor. I have to lean to get out of the shower that has a 12" tall side.

I have tried stretches and it is not working. After I stretch and take a step, my calves go right back to screaming at me with tightness. How do I get them to loosen?

Shoulders:
    Directly to the left of my shoulder blade, I have a muscle that is either spasming or is pulled or something. It is screaming at me. I can't lift anything on that side. Even bending over is excrutiating! What the heck did I do?! My right side has nothing wrong with it at all! I am stronger on my left side than my right side. How do I get it to loosen? I can literally feel it tighten each time I try to lift something. My poor pizza is on the ground thanks to it...

My neck doesn't hurt. The arch of my foot is grumbling at me also.

Any idea on how to get these muscles to calm the heck down?

2. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    You've been sick, you might be dehydrated and also might be low on potasium.

Drink some water, gatorade would be even better.

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    You can soak in Dead Sea Salt. If you can't get that you can use Epsom Salt. Lavender EO is good for muscles. You need to take something for inflammation, the inflammation causes alot of pain.

4. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Do you think you could be a bit dehydrated from being sick? Try drinking some water or gatorade if you have it. This might sound silly but when I used to get muscle cramps my doc would tell me to eat alot of bananas. For some reason that helped. Do you have a heating pad? Maybe that would help ease any discomfort in the muscles. I hope you feel better soon. [​IMG]

5. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Tylenol or Motrin for the pain, and Robaxin or Doan's for muscle relaxation. Not sure if Doan's already has a pain reliever, so check before using with another medication. Otherwise, stretching and good old fashioned tintcure of time.

Edited to add that dehydration will also cause muscle cramps, so the suggestion to drink fluids is a good one. Also the potassium in the bananas will help if your electrolytes are out of whack (also caused by dehydration).

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  6. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    You can also take some ACV. They say it works wonders on cramps.

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Gets my vote, drink lots of water and soak in a bath with salt. I use Epsom salts cause its easy to find.
    I soak in it at least once a week just because it feels good! [​IMG]

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    It is entirely possible that I am dehydrated. My lips are constantly dry and have been for the past 2 days.

I'm still scared to "gulp down" the water that I so desperately want. When I did that when I was sick...it did NOT wind up well.

Are dry lips a sign of dehydration? I've been using chapstick and it doesn't seem to help. Unfortunately, I don't have a heating pad. I've been taking Aleve to help with the pain of it. I've been eating a butt-load of bananas and have been drinking alot of milk too. I don't really know why, but I am also craving orange juice. I hate orange juice.

9. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:Yes, your dry lips could be a sign of dehydration. I would get some water with electrolytes in it. I usually stay dehydrated a little because I do not drink any water. I try to make my self, but I just don't. So, I do pay for it.

Not sure if your Walmart carries it or not, but ours carries Dead Sea Salt and they also carry some with Lavender EO in it. You can also mix the Dead Sea Salt and Epsom Salt together, because the do have different healing properties. I also use Dendritic Salt, but it has to be ordered online.

10. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Yes, if your lips are dry and you crave water, you're probably dehydrated. You also probably lost a lot of electolytes and potassium while sick, and that leads to muscle cramps. You also get elevated blood pressure and increased heart rate from dehydration.

Drink gatorade if you have it, eat bananas, they have potasium ... but the bananas will take a while to help, the gatorade is more immediate.

Don't guzzle too much water in a hurry, this can actually make electrolye imbalances worse (that's why athletes use gatorade). Drink one glass of water, wait about 15 mins, eat some food and sip more water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by